Computer Guru Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abadk9420

Broke Down Driver
In Memoriam
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Finally upgrading my computer, I don't have all the specs handy, My question is do I need a new power supply? I went to plug in my power to the motherboard and on the CPU power port it asked for a 8 pin connector but my PSU only has a 4 pin, I'm running a AMD 3.1GHZ 8 CORE CPU and a MSI motherboard if that helps.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, if your PSU does not have that 8-pin connector then you probably should upgrade. What watt is your PSU? How much RAM? What GPU if any?

Yeah, if your PSU does not have that 8-pin connector then you probably should upgrade. What watt is your PSU? How much RAM? What GPU if any?

Will be running 16 gb of 1600 MHz ram and the pus is 500 watts, graphics card is a EVGA 2GB GT 630

You need to upgrade the power supply. I'd suggest a good 650 watt. I prefer Antec branded p/s but that's just me. Another thing to look for is at least an 80+ Silver certification. This means that it it is more efficient and will cost less to run in the long run.

What do I need to look for to know that it will have a 8 pin power plug for the CPU.

Alright I ended up with a 650 watt Antec PSU, I plug in all if my connections to the motherboard, now fir the moment of truth, I hit the power button and everything comes on except the video card.
Any ideas what would cause this.

Really make sure its pressed into the socket and clicked in. Also make sure its really clean. Mine did that and I realized it wasn't clicked in all the way.

Motherboard and video card are brand new out of the box so I know they are clean, I have taken the video card in and out and tried both video card slots a few times. I'm going to try my old video card when I get home and see if it gets power, i'm thinking if it powers up then it's the video card if it doesn't it's the motherboard

The GT630 is a bus-powered card and doesn't really need any external power cables run to it. I use its predecessor the GT430 on a couple of computers. Make sure that video card is full seated and that the clip has full seated at the base of the video card's L outside of the socket.