Cold weather questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blckrevo33

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello everyone, Its been a while since i have had time for the rc's but i am back for a while now. I am curious about cold weather operating tips, like good ways to keep temps up like wrapping the head, etc, If you guys got any cold weather tips would be appreciated. the air temp here is a balmy 35 degrees out. but no snow and lots of sun so it is time to play !!!!!

Best advice dont run till it gets warmer bout 50+ its hard on an engine.If you must i would use an engine i dont care about anymore it sucks the life out of them!:D Preheat with a hair drier before starting keep the head wraped so the cold is not hitting it directly and cooling it down.

Last edited:
thanks w bill, what would you recomend wrapping the head with? like a sock or something?

thanks w bill, what would you recomend wrapping the head with? like a sock or something?

I would go to the auto store or speed shop and get some of that wrap they use for insulating headers on high performance cars. You could use a sock if you like i think the wrap would work better.

header wrap would be a more permanent solution. You need to soak it in water and wrap it wet, then hold it on with hose clamps. It's not the nicest stuff to work with and I think if you inhale the fibres, it's not good. A 100% cotton sock might be a good idea. The fibres are natural, so they won't melt you've probably got a few without pairs so it makes good use of them.

ultimately, I'd avoid cold weather as well. Or get an electric for running in cold weather and keep the nitros for the warm weather.

35 with sun isn't bad. As long as the engine is fully broken in,I'd run in that weather. For wrap,just foil around the head is enough.

well ultimately i ended up using one of my kids socks to make two wraps and they worked perfectly had real good running temps. I should explain why i wanted to run them, a freind of mine was looking for a couple of trucks for him and his stepson to get into the hobby so i wanted to show them two of my trucks and they ended up buying both of them from me. So thanks for the tips guys.