Cold Climate Blashers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjstinson

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a NEW Savage X 4.6. It has been broken in, I haven't touched the LSN and I have adjusted the HSN that is more rich than lean, but still has response and, when I ran it yesterday (40 degrees ambient temperature), the truck ran great. It started quick, ran well, and it was running until I pushed the safety engine stop button. I rolled the piston down, aired it off, checked all the screws, emptied the tank, and after inspection everything was tip-top.

I went to start the truck today and the ambient temperature is 22-25 degrees (depending on wind) and I never got the truck to turn over. I do use medium-cold plugs (I didn't purchase any hot plugs as HPI suggests cold and medium-cold and I wanted to play it safe) and I use 20% nitro fuel. I primed the engine and when I tried to start it the engine would never fire up with either glow plug igniters (one with a fresh battery and the other may have had a moderate charge on it, but glowed plugs just as bright as the other). I changed the plugs as well. Still nothing.

So... what temperature is best for this engine? Is this a temperature issue and what do you other cold bashers do to enjoy nitro in similar environments?

I haven't tried starting it in my hobby room (basement) to see if it will turn over, but I might try just to see if the temperatures really were the difference. I imagine it will start right up. I am letting it sit awhile as I flooded it trying to get it started outside.

I may also have a weak battery on the roto start (it is charging now) as it seemed to slip WAY to easily and I cleared the engine of fuel several times (even tipping it over and drained any remaining fuel a couple times). I don't know... I am new so I am trying to take this slowly and carefully.

Running nitro in below freezing temps can be like trying to start a fire with wet tinder, if and when I run in winter I only do it on the warmer days with a winter engine"wont run a 250$ plus in winter"make sure plenty rich, also nitro fuel will start to gel up when too cold

My 5.9 seems to like it if I use a hair dryer to heat the head up a bit before trying a cold start. If I don't, it doesn't want to do a thing. If I do, it fires right up with only one or two burps of the roto-start.

edit: I also find I have to let it idle for a couple minutes before it wants to go anywhere on a cold day.

As mentioned, bashing in the really cold temps is a different world. Pe-heating is a must,run a little richer and also wrap the head to keep the temps up. You might want to do some waterproofing if you run in the snow which to me is the only reason to run when it's cold. I never had any issues with fuel gelling but parts can be more brittle and may break easier. Any more,it's rare I even try to run in the cold. I just can't stand the cold myself any more.

Last edited:
You might want to do some waterproofing if you run in the snow which to me is the only reason to run when it's cold.

The truck is new and yesterday was the first day I had actually played with it in the three weeks since I purchased it. Today was colder, but I wanted to just wheel it around and take some soft pops off a leaf pile before the 6-10'' of snow arrives tonight. I might not get a chance to play for another 6-10 days.

No, I don't want to take it into the snow until I upgrade the servos and I won't upgrade the servos until the stock servos give out. Even then, I don't like the idea of running nitro in the snow. Just isn't worth the risk on my wallet.

I did get the truck running. I started it in my hobby room after it sat awhile. I then let it get warm for about 5 minutes and took it outdoors and let it idle for 5 more minutes. After that I just quarter throttled it around until it seemed to warm up a bit. I didn't bash it hard at all.

Thanks for all the help guys. It's good to get feedback so quickly and to learn what to expect in these conditions.

I'm in the same boat here. Yesterday was the only day for the next week or more that might have been ok to go outside. I went out and bashed my XL for a solid 2 hours without even shutting the truck off! And now it's way cold and snowy again...oh well...

Best off just waiting for the nicer days and save some life on the engine, imo

All this talk of bashing,I had to go do some ice bashing before the big snow comes tonight. The road was perfect but at only 12* I froze my steering hand,couldn't drive with the glove on.

Lmao, I've been there, I would've bashed a bit today but I can't find a damn os medium anywhere

Do you have the water proof servos? With 20 percent i would think you would want a hot plug . When it is cold out side it will be so hard to turn the motor over. I find for me going from a day where it is lets say 30-38 deg to like 25-28 it so hard to turn the motor over. I end up flooding it pretty bad or just get pissed off. How to get around this is pretty easy pre heat the motor before going out side, or the best thing is not to go run a new motor out in that weather . It is not good yes it can be done and it is done , i do it but when it warms up and lets say you get to like 80 deg out side or even like 90deg you could have a piston issue. When braking in a motor when its cold out side it tends to set/brake in for that weather. Now not saying you will not be able to run your rc in 80deg weather but it COULD be a issue you could have in the next few months. Its like having a winter motor and summer motor. I say any rc you care about or have over 350.00 in to keep in mind what running in cold weather could do to the motor you have in there .
1 - 20 Percent i would go with a hot plug
2- pre heat any thing under 32 deg (freezing) it will only help in STARTING the motor
3 -best thing to do is get a second motor. Or get another piston and sleeve. Do not laugh some guys have there fall/ winter piston/sleeves and spring/summer piston/sleeves.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Lmao, I've been there, I would've bashed a bit today but I can't find a damn os medium anywhere

i got a few hsp medium plugs , there long reach kinda like what traxxas calls for. They are cheap sure.... but damn it they work like a charm and shine bright. If you need one you can swing bye and get one for free. There numbered 4 and hot is 3 if that does you any good lol.

Last edited: