Cold air intake

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mixmastabob4

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Does anyone no how to make a cold air intake, or know what size tube i have to use? And is having a cold air intake help at all?

well in the reviews you could build off of the examples on the t-maxx and the savage.Cold air intakes work by taking the air thats away from the heat of the engine.The colder air the will hold more gas particles.Therefore giving the engine a getter gas:air ratio for more power.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

You first need to truly understand the principals of cold air intake in general with Combustion engines and how they apply to Glow engines.

Basically, a "COLD AIR" intake SYSTEM is a less restrictive air filter design usually consisting of a "ram tube" and a conical shapped air filter that generally uses the re-usable filter media like K&N.

The Idea is that your getting more dense "cold air" (more density means more oxygen) into your motor for better combustion and more power. Some AIr INtake systems are "Short Ram" and aren't as far removed from allot of the general engine heat and many have a longer tube that's often mandrel bent (mandrel bending 101 on another thread but it doesn't matter in anything but really high horespower applications). The longer tube is going to bring in slightly cooler air. WHen it comes to adding more power to your engine whether Glow or standard it's not that simple. Most everythng in engines is give and take, you often can't have your cake and eat it to. Air Intakes often add little if any HP..

When it comes down to it, when adding HP, DYNO numbers are what count in terms of real power @ the wheels and real power gains. Intakes will make your engine much louder but even on a mean phucking machine like my RX-7 (high alltitude too) my AEM AIr Intake system only adds 2 hp to the wheels....whooptie do. NOt to mention that by adding an INtake (especially to a truck driven off road) your increasing the chance of water getting into your motor and destroying it, especially if you have one of the intake systems that hangs low for colder air. Generally your not going to have to worry about water getting into your engine with most Intake systems but many quality companies like AEM offer "by-pass" valves that are suppose to keep this from happening.

Many people love the sound of an intake and many hate it or are embaressed by the often loud noise. I happen to love air intake on my cars but don't risk water in my engine on my truck.

Now for the RC application.......I got what it suppose to be the best AIR INTAKE system for my Maxx with 2.5. I got it on E-bay some months ago after reading some reviews about it. It's a polished tube that re-directs the air filter toward the front shock tower. It connects dirrect to the engine where the air filter body would be. It didn't add ANY noticable power to my truck on the top, bottom or mid range. I also used a big ass bad boy air filter off a NIssan car and it didn't do anything noticable. SO not only did it NOT add any noticable power or sound, it makes it allot easier for the air filter assembly to rip off when rolling the maxx and me destorying my engine when driving off road.

My friend intalled the same unti with standard air filter on his maxx. We went off roading one time and he didn't realize it but the entire "properly installed" assembly came off. He finally figured it out and was lucky as a MOFO that he didn't get any dirt in his engine from the "novelty" that is an AIr INtake on an rc.

FYI...many of the AIR Intake systems on the market for Glow engines actually take power away as they're heavy. IMHO, AIr Intakes on RC are like big ass heavy "Dual exhuaust" systems. Basically, they suck.

Last edited: