clutch problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikko508

ROLEX SUPPORTER
Reaction score
Hi guys, can any one tell me why i keep braking clutch springs.
I have a 3 shoe integy set up, the clutch springs broke almost right away after I installed it, I modified the clutch shoes to accommodate a larger spring I used springs from a MGT and they lasted for about 2 quarts of fuel, today I took it out and it was running very strong but the clutch springs broke again, why am I having all these clutch problems, I'm running a 3.3.
Is there a better clutch sys that I can install so my problems go away.:angry:

That integy stuff is garbadge I actually just installed a hot racing 3 shoe setup about fifteen minutes ago and it looks like its made verry well ill let ya know how it holds up if the weather is good this weekend.

The clutch shoes are holding up just fine its the springs that fall apart, first the integy and now the MGT what gives.

IMAG0158.jpg

Last edited:
I have had the hot racing clutch for about 3/4 of a gallon now and have had great luck so far. i to would like to know why thats happening to ya. Probably something wrong other than poor manafactured parts though, just not sure what it could be.

I have had the hot racing clutch for about 3/4 of a gallon now and have had great luck so far. i to would like to know why thats happening to ya. Probably something wrong other than poor manafactured parts though, just not sure what it could be.

It's really starting to pi** me off its so frustrating. Could it be that my clutch bell has to much friction causing the clutch shoes to grab very hard and chatter putting stress on the springs.?

that would be the only logical thing i could think of maybe, not realy sure. Maybe someone else has had this problem.

Wrap around clutch springs usually break because they either are installed wrong (the connection of the spring needs to be located in the middle of a shoe and not in the area between shoes) or the clutch has overheated and caused the spring to become brittle.
Also if the shoes are worn to the point of the spring rubbing the clutch bell it will wear the spring and they will break.
If you modified the shoes for a bigger diameter spring, maybe the groove wasn’t deep enough and the spring rubbed?

The Buku is one of the better clutch setups you can get.

Thanks snookman, I've always trusted your oppinion. It sounds like you know your stuff.
The new style integy clutch shoes have a hole drilled in the shoe instead if the traditional groove, so the spring didn't rub the clutch bell, heat could be a factor in my problem.
BUKU recommends to use a vented CB, who makes a good one?

It's important to keep the glaze off of the inside of the bell. Have you sanded it when repairing it? Fine grit or scotch bright works well, then clean it with da.

Yes i did prep it and it looked very good at this point I don't know what more I can do with it, I'm tiered of pulling the eng out, its always the same spring too.

Ok, I ordered a buku clutch and I'm going to install it today, anyone have any experience with adjusting this clutch. I'm looking for a good setting. Thanks