clutch problems...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flywheel is spinging, spur gears move, i cleaned the bell gear or whatever where the clutches grab and that helped but it still slips

It has to be the slipper. A missing grub screw would stop all movement, right? Worth checking into though. The grub screws attach the axles to the outputs on the tranny and diffs.

You need to figure out where your losing power. Obviously your clutch did have issues.

You said you had the two speed apart. Maybe take it back apart and with a parts diagram, make sure you put it back together properly and in the right order.

Also, does yours still have forward/reverse gears or was that removed with a forward only conversion? Does it still have hi/low gears via a knob on the transmission?

i put it back together with the diagram and yes I do have reverse and high and low

Are you sure that forward/reverse is properly engaged? Same with hi-low. They can get stuck between gears and transfer very little (if any) power to the diffs. I know my buddy had issues with his before we changed it to a forward only trans.

Hmmm Idk.. I switched it back and forth between forward an reverse, it did the same and high seemed to be in gear all the way..

Ok. With the engine running and you applying throttle to get the Cb/spurs spinning, do you see the center shaft on the spurs spinning too? It's the shaft with the slipper nut.

Basically what you need to do is follow the power. Figure out where things are spinning and where they aren't. Wherever you find it not spinning when it should be is the place your having problems.

So:
1) flywheel spins
2) CB spins
3) Spurs spin
4) Spur shaft spins with the spurs at the same speed
5) Output shaft on the trans
6) Both front/rear center axles
7) All 4 outer axles (the actual axle between the diff and wheel)
8) The wheel nuts/axle the nut is on
9) Tires

Figure out the step your losing power and the part before it is your problem.

If you know your having a power transfer problem, it's best to keep the wheels stationary so they don't spin. That's the easiest part to stop from spinning manually. Rev the throttle a bit with quick blips and follow the power path to see what is and what isn't spinning. By holding the tires stationary, they obviously won't spin, so #9 is controlled. :)

If, when you do this and the only thing that spins is the flywheel, then your issue remains in your clutch.

Last edited:
We did that, the clutch was sliping. Could the inside of the 2 speed gear be worn down not causeing the clutches to grab?

It's probably the one way bearing. Take off the 1-2 gearset and carefully clean the one way bearing. Then use one drop of oil on it. If you really think the 1-2 gearset and slipper are causing problems then you may wanna ebay that stuff new. Starting over helped me out with my xxl.

I also had to sand the tranny input shaft with 800 grit sandpaper to get my owb working nicely.

We did that, the clutch was sliping. Could the inside of the 2 speed gear be worn down not causeing the clutches to grab?

You did what? Are you talking about the "slipping clutch" being the clutch on the engine inside the clutch bell? Sorry, just not sure what clutch your talking about.

If so, it could be worn... but for a typical clutch, I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue.

Did you sand out the inside of the bell when you replaced the clutch? I always use a mild sand paper to clean up the inner surface of the bell and also use sand paper on the face of teh shoes themselves to rough them up a bit so the clutch breaks in faster. Before sanding and after sanding, you really need to wipe the shoes and inside of the bell with paper towel and DA to remove all oil residue. 1 drop of oil will fry a clutch...

If that's not the clutch your talking about, but is really the clutch in the two speed, it doesn't engage until second gear comes on. Which means 2revo is probably right with it being the OWB in the 1st gear. It's prone to wearing out over time and requires cleaning/maintenance to keep it up to snuff.

I stuck the spur gear on to the shaft and spun it, it seemed like the bearing was okay but not I didn't not sand the inside of the gear when I replaced the clutches

Back