Clean & prep.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
Ok Fella's ,getting tired of sitting around in my PJ.'s an seeing everyone else having all the fun with their nitro's!

Its time to do something now ,because my G-kids are out of school for the Holidays an I can stay focused
on what I am doing ,sense it is rainy & wet ,I can not run high powered street cars ,an I need new tires for
the Mt. ,so I will break out the Robo. Mantis an run it.
The reason the engine is out ,is because I robbed the one-way bearing out of the engine to run my MT. ,
Hpi 5.9 as the o-way in the axial engines interchange with each other!

The Mantis is very dirty ,so I need to clean it an put the o-way back in ,here is some pics of the current stage ,
it was ran about 3 yrs ago an not cleaned!

Last edited:
I mixed some hot water an Dawn soap ,sprayed it down ,an fire hosed it down ,then I will let it drip awhile ,
then I will dryer it up with a towel & hair dryer ,then WD some metal parts!....:cool:

She's all clean now!

I just cleaned my engine ,it wasn't that dirty ,but I noticed that I robbed the glow-plug out an the plug hole
exposed ,normally I put an old plug back in so dirt an small debris don't get in!

I soaked it in very hot water an flushed it out ,then shook the water out ,hit it with a hot blow dryer ,an lubed the enternals
up with WD. ,I got after run oil ,put a few drops of that in as well!

No offense but that engine still looks dirty to me. You NEED some simple green man!

LOL....na ,your ok ,I noticed the fins on the head as I was putting the 0-way & backplate back on ,I'm good with
the way it is ,I am going to run it ,its no Rolex!....

Hey, that looks like it getting close to ready. I just finished upgrading my Revo 3.3 suspension. Will post some pics soon.

Mantis is a bad ass truggy shame its disc.

LOL...yea,I don't see too many on market ,so I don't get too crazy with mine!
I had it for about 5 years now ,I only paid $ 200.00 for it ,an it was still like new ,wasn't fully broke
in an I don't think it even got to touch the ground as it was spotless .an didn't have a scratch on the bottom of the chassy!

Here is a pic. when I first got it ,an it took me a long time to even pull it off the shelf to drive it ,because I wanted
to save it for race only ,but my local HS. closed its doors before I can run it on the track ,their track was awesome ,
an it was only 12 miles up the f-way from me!....:doh:

I am getting the engine meshed with the gears now ,I still got to put the tank back on an the pipe ,rec.
hooked up.
I am going to try a different pipe ,I don't want the original one banged & fuel burnt on it ,so I got
several JP's ,got 1 ,2 ,an 4 ,but I am going to try this 007 HT pipe first!...

Do you know what the performance is on those pipes? ,I don't ,although ,I do have them an don't have
experience with the different tunes of them ,but I do know that they use them to change the tune at
different track or performance conditions!:cool:

About ready to rock ,just got to clean the air filter ,an oil it ,put nitro in & fire!...:cool:

Do that tomorrow afternoon ,I will try to get a vid!

Installing the new filter foam ,its pre oiled ,the old one rotted!
Also installing the best fail safe ,a simple spring that doesn't rely on electric!....:hehe:

Its been awhile ,here is a vid of were I tried to start it at first ,glow igniter was dead an had to get another battery!

An here is were I got it started ,the vid actually stops at about 230 ,I was testing it ,an I will get
some actual run vid up in a bit ,after I do some final radio adjustments ,this isn't the radio that I was using in
it before ,as it has been about 3 years sense I ran it!

Here is another vid. ,I still need to tune it more ,I only have enough fuel for one more tank ,the fuel is over
2 years old ,I am going to get a fresh gallon soon ,so I am kind of leary about fine tuning too much ,I will have
to re-tune on the new stuff!

Tomorrow ,I will shoot another vid ,I promise ,I will strap the cam to my head!......LOL
One of these days ,I will run over my own camera!.....:hehe:

Going to try this JP-1 pipe first ,wasn't too happy with the D 007 HT ,I want a little more bottom end grunt!

I noticed the lack of fuel draw ,an slowness of the fuel to the carb ,even after I removed the external fuel filter
an got rid of the access fuel line ,an also the red fuel line as it was a small diameter line which will restrict
the pressure ,I use clear line for tank to carb so that I can see the fuel flow to the carb ,the dark can be used
for pressure!

Back