cheap soldering iron?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm_rider07

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Any one know of a good affordable soldering iron I'm new to soldering I'm look for something under 100 bux. iv been reading around and it seems 63/37 solder is the best to use correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys

Good luck finding that solder. They are in the process of removing all of the lead based solder and replacing it with a tin based version.

I personally use silver solder, way better of a conducter but prepare to pay the extra cost and use a higher temp to its melting point.

$100 for a soldering iron. . .you can get a pretty darn good one for that price. . .i think i paid less than that for my old one and it had a digital read out

Yeah, a c-note will buy you a pretty nice iron. I spent about that on a Hakko. Recently. I'm very happy with it considering I've been using the cheap irons for years.

For right at $100, the Hakko FX-888 is the ticket.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...Safe-Adjustable-Temperature-Soldering-Station

You also can't go wrong with a TrakPower TK-950 for $80 which is the same as the discontinued Hakko 936 and Checkpoint TC-950.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...d/204594/n/TrakPower-TK-950-Soldering-Station

---------- Post added at 8:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:37 AM ----------

I have used the Hakko 936 for years without a single issue. If I had to buy a new one today, it would be the FX-888 without hesitation.

I've been using the Team Checkpoint soldering station (Hakko 936) for a while now. Never really did any soldering before I had it and now I'm using it a lot more than I thought I would.

Even used it to fix my Samsung LCD TV :D

I'd highly recommend the Team Checkpoint or Hakko, the FX-888 as Rob pointed out is their newest model and I've heard good stuff about it from the LHS.

thanks everyone :D

Even used it to fix my Samsung LCD TV :D

LOL yep, same here kinda. I used mine to fix a problem on my mom Crossfire a couple months ago. Saved a bunch of money from having to have the piece replaced.

I'd highly recommend the Team Checkpoint or Hakko, the FX-888 as Rob pointed out is their newest model and I've heard good stuff about it from the LHS.

That's a helluva deal on the FX-888!

I bought a Hakko 936 used for $50 off someone on an RC site. I wouldn't sell that thing even if you offered me $100! Love it.

Thanks Woodie! I would be happy to ship any items.

Back