Car wont start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham.S

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Please bare with me I'm a total newbie when it comes to nitro stuff.
I got given a carnage nt that has never been run probably for the same reason that i need to post here it just simply wont start.

I had a go last year and replaced the tank as the lid didnt shut properly, new No.4 glow plug bought new fuel last year too, hardly used any due to the fact it wouldnt run.

So I'm thinking about putting the engine back to factory settings which are as follows.

Main Needle Valve – High Speed Adjustment (HSA) Screw down until resistance is met, and no further movement is apparent. RE-OPEN 3 1/4 TURNS.

Throttle Adjustment Screw – Idle Adjustment (IA) Gently shut off carburettor sliding body and slowly re-open by means of adjusting screw. ADJUST SCREW UNTIL APPROX 1 or 1 1/4mm OF APERTURE APPEARS BETWEEN THE END OF THE THROTTLE BODY AND AIR INTAKE APERTURE.

Sub Throttle Needle Valve – Low Speed Adjustment (LSA) With adjustment screw setting in place, close off the throttle body against the screw. Very gently screw in the needle valve until it closes off the supply fuel nozzle and is prevented from re-opening by the entry of the needle valve into the centre hole of the fuel nozzle (work with great care with this one - we are only looking for minimal frictional contact between both parts). RE-OPEN VALVE 2 1/2 TURNS

Now i get the first 2 but am a bit baffled by the last one, can anyone explain how i go about doing the last step?

If i drop a drop or 2 in the engine it runs briefly then dies so I'm guessing no fuel is getting through.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.
G.

Is that the Go 18 engine with the 2 needle carb.?

Usually the LSN needle pretty much stays at factory set ,an is only adjusted after the engine is
warmed up ,its adjusted slightly for eceleration response from idle to full throttle ,however ,it may
also control the amount of fuel.

I would set it back to factory ,an the properly prime the engine to get the fuel flow through the
fuel lines ,you should be able to see the fuel flow through the blue fuel lines!

You can prime engine by plugging the muffler tip with your finger before you try to fire engine!..:cool:

Is that the Go 18 engine with the 2 needle carb.?

Usually the LSN needle pretty much stays at factory set ,an is only adjusted after the engine is
warmed up ,its adjusted slightly for eceleration response from idle to full throttle ,however ,it may
also control the amount of fuel.

I would set it back to factory ,an the properly prime the engine to get the fuel flow through the
fuel lines ,you should be able to see the fuel flow through the blue fuel lines!

You can prime engine by plugging the muffler tip with your finger before you try to fire engine!..:cool:
Yep it is the go 18, I'm ok with the setting the HS and IA but i can't grasp what the LSA adjustment step means. I've not been able to prime the engine with the pull starter and exhaust blocked, only by removing the pipe from the exhaust and blowing, even thats hard work unless i undo the glow plug

Yep it is the go 18, I'm ok with the setting the HS and IA but i can't grasp what the LSA adjustment step means. I've not been able to prime the engine with the pull starter and exhaust blocked, only by removing the pipe from the exhaust and blowing, even thats hard work unless i undo the glow plug

Then surely your LSN is too far closed off ,that's why I asked if your getting a prime!
The LSN is like a fuel meter ,it allows so much fuel in.
So ,the Lsn will need to be opened up an or you have a clogged carb or dirty fuel tank
filter.
Theres a lot of reasons why fuel doesn't get to the carb. which makes it hard to diagnose
problems online!
So ,by putting a couple drops of fuel in the carb. ,you've already established that the engine
will start an run providing that it had a constant fuel supply ,which is a good thing!

I would check for blockage ,an just keep opening up the Lsn until you see fuel flow!

Had a play today, took the exhaust off separated cleaned it as it had i guess old fuel running out of it and reassembled with new cable ties, old ones were loose, joiner now longer spins. HSA i wound all the way in and wound it back out 3 1/4 turns, the throttle adjustment screw i adjusted that until i can see approx 1 1/4 mm open.

Now daft question what does the adjustment on the end of the carb do or need to be at?

Also had it fire up but only stays running with my finger over the end of the exhaust

Had a play today, took the exhaust off separated cleaned it as it had i guess old fuel running out of it and reassembled with new cable ties, old ones were loose, joiner now longer spins. HSA i wound all the way in and wound it back out 3 1/4 turns, the throttle adjustment screw i adjusted that until i can see approx 1 1/4 mm open.

Now daft question what does the adjustment on the end of the carb do or need to be at?

Also had it fire up but only stays running with my finger over the end of the exhaust

The needle that's in the end of the linkage ball is the Lsn. ,That needle needs to be opened up!
That needle there controls fuel flow.

I don't know the turns out on that ,but like I said in my previous post ,just keep turning it out until
you get fuel flow or you can back it out flush with the housing as a starting point!...:cool:

That is only a 2 needle carb. ,the Lsn on a 2 needle carb. acts as a mix meter & Lsn setting ,
so it regulates fuel flow!:D