Cantilever suspension

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromyke

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone noob to the RC community and forum. Have a question not sure if it’s been in any threads or not. I have an scx10 3 chassis and just purchased an LC70 hard body. I don’t want the suspension to come through the truck bed so looking into a cantilever suspension. I’ve seen people talk about the dinky RC 1/16 cantilever and seen an RC Lion product on Amazon for the scx10 2 chassis. Has anyone done this cross over or any tips/parts/products that would work the best?
thanks for your time.
Mike

dont think its possible.but give it a try .interesting to view once all the bugs are worked out

Is the truck IRS or a solid axle? That makes a huge difference in where/how to mount everything. You need to also measure ready to run ride height from wheel nut to chassis bottom, full droop from bottom of the chassis to the wheel nut. You are going to want to know how much suspension travel you are wanting. This will make your starting point. Next, what is the trucks intended purpose; streetcar, drag race, dirt track, jumping, exc. next is finding out what else is attached to the rear suspension mount and what needs that mount; is the mount an attaching point to something else, is the mount also a locating point for other parts as well.
Once you have all this information, you can then begin to over come the problems faced with removing the suspension mount. The next problem your going to face is what off the shelf shock and spring is going to give you the travel your after and still have anti squat and control the spring. Then you can figure out how strong the cam arm needs to be, what angle the cam arm heeds to be, and where to attach the shock to the suspension arm and where you can attach the cam arm to the chassis. Lastly, how to attach everything.
My suspicion is your looking at one off parts. I have a guy near by that can design these parts on a computer then print them in PVC plastic on a 3D printer. I don’t know price that would cost. But I’m here to help. I’ve designed this suspension type a few times on full size vehicles. So please feel free to ask me any questions you might have

Is the truck IRS or a solid axle? That makes a huge difference in where/how to mount everything. You need to also measure ready to run ride height from wheel nut to chassis bottom, full droop from bottom of the chassis to the wheel nut. You are going to want to know how much suspension travel you are wanting. This will make your starting point. Next, what is the trucks intended purpose; streetcar, drag race, dirt track, jumping, exc. next is finding out what else is attached to the rear suspension mount and what needs that mount; is the mount an attaching point to something else, is the mount also a locating point for other parts as well.
Once you have all this information, you can then begin to over come the problems faced with removing the suspension mount. The next problem your going to face is what off the shelf shock and spring is going to give you the travel your after and still have anti squat and control the spring. Then you can figure out how strong the cam arm needs to be, what angle the cam arm heeds to be, and where to attach the shock to the suspension arm and where you can attach the cam arm to the chassis. Lastly, how to attach everything.
My suspicion is your looking at one off parts. I have a guy near by that can design these parts on a computer then print them in PVC plastic on a 3D printer. I don’t know price that would cost. But I’m here to help. I’ve designed this suspension type a few times on full size vehicles. So please feel free to ask me any questions you might have
Wow thanks for the feed back. It’s gonna be a trail truck. I need to remove these huge shock towers and adapt to the axial frame. Nothing else is attached to the shock tower other then the shocks. Only problem is this frame rises up where the towers are compared to scx10/2 which is a straight across flat frame.

Attachments

• D537EC74-F7CF-4D70-98CE-1CDCAD629C3C.jpeg
    D537EC74-F7CF-4D70-98CE-1CDCAD629C3C.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 331
Do you have any adjustability for your 4 link bars? Also it looks like your body mount is attached to the spring perch.
Best I can see it looks like your going to be better off getting a set of mounts that have multiple mounting holes, getting a shorter shock, getting it mounted the way you want for ride height and suspension travel, then trimming the mount down.

or, welding on some fabricated mounts/brackets to mount the shock/spring, then making a lever to mount to the shock and the axle.

or, scraping the frame you got and building a one off frame with the suspension system built in to the design. That frame you have looks like a Jeep JK scale frame. That rear axle relief is going to be hard to work around. In stock frame style trucks, we have to C notch the frame to make room for the axle, and cut holes in the bed for the diff and suspension; when lowering it. Or we just do a suspension lift. The other problem your going to have, seeing it’s a crawler, is with cantilever style suspension, as you get closer to full compression of the shock/spring, force is increased due to the lever action. Meaning your suspension travel is going to be limited; bad for axle articulation.

Back