Can't start DuraTrax Nitro BX (Noob Warning, help wanted)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff221

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Yesterday I purchased my newest hobby, a Duratrax Nitro Evader BX RTR. First time out I let the car run through break in process as per the manual. First 3 tanks down, put it up for the day. I put one drop of After Run oil in the glow plug hole and put it up.

Today, I pulled it out to run another 2-3 tanks through it and find I'm unable to start the car. After playing with the low speed/high speed needles a bit I found myself with a strange situation.

If I compress the engine (hold my finger over the exhaust) for 5-6 pulls without the starter rod inserted, THEN I put the starter on the glow plug it will start up, run for a few seconds, then stop. Rinse, Repeat.

There is plenty of nitro flow to the carb, the carb needle (high speed) is 1.5 turns from closed, the low speed needle is 2 turns from closed.... Still, same thing..

Any help?!? The noob is getting frustrated and I don't want to give up on my $300 investment. Thanks guys!

Return your needles to stock settings listed in your book, take a real close look at your glow plug. I would bet the glow plug is where most of your problem is.

Ok, stopped by the shop after work today and picked up a Duratrax Gold Racing glow plug...

No luck, I'm thinking my starter might not be any good. When I take the plug out and watch the thing heat up it doesn't change color or anything... I've searched on here and I've red it's suppose to turn orange/white?

:surrender

I'm suppose to get a rechargable one in the mail today, so we'll see what happens.

:drink:

The plug should glow when you attach the starter.

on a .18 (3.0 CC) engine, how noticably bright would the glow plug be? I can fire up the glow plug and I see SOME heat being generated, I can somewhat feel the heat as well, but it's certainly not "glowing" as has been described in some other posts.

It glows the same brightness w/ the new & old starter. I'm having one hell of a time getting this thing started.. I removed the glow plug, removed the needles & hoses and emptied the gas, I"m goign to let this thing dry out and try again tomorrow, I think I've flooded it out for tonight.

Takes about 12 hours or so? to get a glow starter charged up all the way.
If ya have enough power it will glow a bright orange.

I'm becoming discourged fast, maybe this isn't the Hobby for me...

:sick:

Today, I stopped by the hobby shop and picked up a few more glowplugs for good measure. When I got home, I pulled out the glow starter that had charged over night & day and put it on the glow plug in question (the old plugs, haven't opened those bought today). I saw a BRIGHT glow come from the plug. I got happy all of a sudden. I'm not sure why a brand new "C" battery doesn't seem to do anything to the plugs, but I moved along from here...

I CAREFULY primted the carb after sitting all night to drop out. I CAREFULLY put the glow starter on, and pulled 2 - 3 quick pulls.

I could hear it begin to show some signs of life.. I kept pulling another 3-4 times. VROOM! It starts up, idles and then dies.. At this point I want to kick this thing. I pull again and nothing.. Pull Pull Pull.. Same, nothing...

I fiddle w/ the needles, I fiddle w/ the glow plug... nothing.. Between the car, plugs, tools, gas, etc... I've got about $450 invested in this hobby so far (just breaking the ice, I know) and I can't even get the car started. :(

I think I'm going to take the car to the shop and see if they can do anything with it. If not, I'll cut my looses and take up sewing...

Try turning up the idle a hair, or raising the throttle trim on the remote. 1.5 turns on the HSN sounds like a little lean to me...

DON"T GIVE UP! Yes, these things can be a pain at first,especially when you are as new as the vehicle! Have a little/lot of patience, it'll all be good soon.

Reset the carb to factory settings, replace glow plug(don't toss the original yet) set the idle up like .21RC10Gt said and try it again.

DON"T GIVE UP! Yes, these things can be a pain at first,especially when you are as new as the vehicle! Have a little/lot of patience, it'll all be good soon.

Reset the carb to factory settings, replace glow plug(don't toss the original yet) set the idle up like .21RC10Gt said and try it again.

I've reviewed the manual and can't seem to find the "factory" settings for the HSN or LSN. The manual does say for break-in the HSN should be at 2 full turns from closed but doesn't mention anything about LSN factory settings.