Can you use old fuel in a baja?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvageXl

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys, I'm back with another stupid question, however was wondering whether or not using old fuel in a baja will ruin the engine or not. The HPI instruction manual says fuel over a month old could potentially damage the carb and engine however that seems a bit ridiculous to me so I was seeking the help of you guys. I've got some decently old fuel in the garage (3 years old) and I was wondering whether it would be alright to run. WHen it was new it was a great quality mix of 98 octane and valvoline fully synthetic 2 stroke racing oil. Thanks

Under or at 30 days is best. Less likely for dirt and debris, and less chance of water. Ethanol attracts moisture, and helps break down small carbs. For that reason I shot for ethanol free, which is safer but not moisture proof.

If the tanker is pumping into the gas station, any water is getting stirred. Diesel has more water and algae.

Worse case senario, you may need a carb, and she may run rough if the fuel breaks down.

If its seen heat or sunlighht I would avoid.

I wouldn't use it.
I would however follow the manufacturer's instructions. Why take that chance?

Back