can the e-savage....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ermull

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What can the e-savage do . Like can it go in water mud. Is it ford tuff like traxxas.:\

its savage, it can do anything!! if it was ford tuff, it would be found on road dead

lol ok i guess e-svage is good from what ur saying.

Ermull. Sounds like you're still confused. If you're willing to spend that sort of money, and want a fast, strong, easily upgradeable, waterproof truck or monster truck, there is only one......
Everyone shout it out..... 16.8v E Maxx...............

lol. I ran my uncles t=-maxx today. We turned some peoples heads. Omg we hit some good jumps andthen had to get a new glow wire.

get a nitro savage you wont regret it it.

hey ermull did you finally talk your parents into letting you get a nitro rc?

Agreed the savage nitro is the way to go for bashing!

I hate anything maxx. tiny shocks, dinky frame, they are just junk IMO.

I have an e-savage with a few goodies but i can't say if its good in the mud/water since i have no desire to run my rc's in that terrain. The truck in stock form is very strong and well built. I would feel more comfortable with it rather than anything based on the maxx platform.

Tiny shocks, dinky frame, you must have been looking at the radio shack Savage when you said that, if you include no power and high COG then I know you were.
Seriously the nitro Savage is ok, but the E is not in the Savage class. The new EMaxx, and that is the one I'm comparing it too, is streets ahead.....

watch the second video and tell me its not in the savage category.
http://gcmachine.ca/index.php/gallery/video

My maxx broke stock, it broke as a complete integy machine and it broke as a complete rpm machine.

The tiny shocks and dinky frame are on the maxx's, not the savage. The savage has plently of power stock but who cares what comes stock on anything.

the new emaxx doesn't look to be a radical new design from the pictures i am looking at. Whats the main differences?

I'm a Savage man through and through when it comes to savage vs. T-Maxx, but in the electric world, I would go with the new E-Maxx. Especially if you're not planning to spend a bunch of money upgrading the drivetrain. They're both decent trucks, but I think for someone not looking to spend a lot of money on something, the E-Maxx with RPM arms will be the way to go.

Last edited:
Ermull. Sounds like you're still confused. If you're willing to spend that sort of money, and want a fast, strong, easily upgradeable, waterproof truck or monster truck, there is only one......
Everyone shout it out..... 16.8v E Maxx...............
hey darren, i like you, dont make me hate you for what you just said, lol j/k
traxxas is cool, I'm just loyal to HPI

I'm a Savage man through and through when it comes to savage vs. T-Maxx, but in the electric world, I would go with the new E-Maxx. Especially if you're not planning to spend a bunch of money upgrading the drivetrain. They're both decent trucks, but I think for someone not looking to spend a lot of money on something, the E-Maxx with RPM arms will be the way to go.

The esavage makes even more sense on a budget. The rtr is $22 cheaper than the artr emaxx. You still need to buy batteries with the emaxx. Lets say you only spend 100 on batteries. (yeah right) you are now $466 deep into the emaxx and still need a charger. You can't make a emaxx rtr for under 500 if you go brand new. On a budget of 500, i'll take a rtr esavage with 150 to spend on upgrades over a stock rtr emaxx. I just love my hpi vehicles and the savage has never let me down. Anything i have broken has been my own fault. The fact that the rear stock driveshaft held up as long as it did under the power of a 6.5 on 4S lets me know its a solid truck.

Thread hijack.....
Yes flm sav. The new Emaxx is longer, better shocks, steel tranny and diffs and a few other things that mean nothin to me....
I will give you something though. I pulled the stock 550's and fitted a pair of 9 turn Revolver 700 brushed morors. Seriously these are physically twice the size of the 550's. I ran it for about half an hour tuning suspension, then on my third jump when she landed, it broke the front driveshaft and she stood up and flipped. So yes I broke it but thats what you do before you start upgrading. She has all metal shafts now, and I'm still sorting before putting the twin brushless in.

My lhs owner sells mostly traxxas stuff, and he always has at least 4 broken maxx's in his shop. It is always a broken bulkhead and/or the front suspension assembly broke off from the chassis. Just look at the overhead shot of the new t maxx; no it's gonna break! http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx4908/trx_tmaxx4908_gallery.htm

And there are probably more dented F150's in america than Hyundai Excels. Why? Because there's more of them.
It aint rocket science....
Also while you're there just what did your obvious expert eye single out in the TMaxx overhead shot, to make a non specific obvious criticism of its build?
Obviously I'm blind.........

so you broke a stock drivetrain with a different set of motors..... Not sure what point you are trying to get across.

I've snapped MIP cvd's. who cares?

Like i said, for the price of a rtr emaxx, you can have an e savage with at least $150 in extra parts and IMO a better truck overall.

this review should answer your question.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=802

After spending some time jumping, I just couldn't resist one spot on the track that was standing in mud. The mud was thick, looking like someone had dumped a ton of pudding just after the first turn. I knew this would make for a killer set of pictures, as well as some fun watching the truck sling the mud off its tires. The spot was small, probably only twice the length of the truck, but it was easy to bury the tires deep down in the mud, allowing the E-Savage to get super dirty!

I manned the camera, while my fourteen year-old drove the truck forwards and backwards through the mud. Its four-wheel drive capability kept it moving through the mud without getting stuck at all. By the time he was finished the body was absolutely covered in mud, obscuring the factory colors and branding. It made for one heck of a clean-up, but was good times indeed!

After spending the day at the track, it was time to begin reflecting on my experiences with the truck and to prepare for writing this article. I know one question that will be on the mind of those who are looking to purchase the truck, and that is runtime. The stock 3300Mah packs provided me around 10-12 minutes of runtime, although that may vary from person to person. Driving style will greatly affect your runtime, as someone who always has the throttle nailed will likely see less runtime than someone who is on and off the throttle more.

The truck has good power, and radar testing showed me a top speed of right at 26MPH with the stock battery packs. Nothing on the truck broke during the time I beat on it at the track and in the backyard. However, the chrome plating on the wheels had started to flake off a little. This is typical of chrome plated wheels though as chrome coating just doesn't bond to plastic very well, nor does it flex when the wheel does. In looking at the mud-covered and beaten ride when the day was finished I can honestly say it's been through the wringer, and the truck is still standing proud!

action18.jpg

action17.jpg

That first pics a beaut... The point I was trying to make is that all things break, if you help them. The shafts on the 16.8 Emaxx are the same as the TMaxx, and there is no way the stock mills would break them. I went a long way to stuffing them because when I pulled the tranny out to fit the motor plate for the new motors, I may have split the drive yolk when I screwed the pin back in..... I have an E Savage that I dont use, and a 14.4 Emaxx that I also dont use. But I do love my big one.....
I think they are plenty strong enough for any basher.

there is no way the stock mills would break them.

:hehe:

come on now. i am thinking if you let it hit the ground a few times at wot after jumping, you would be able to break them. Anything and everything can be broken.

i say buy both and write a review on them..

:hehe:

i say buy both and write a review on them..

That's the best advice I've heard yet out of this thread. The point is, they're both really good trucks. It's all a matter of personal opinion. If I liked to go out and bash more, I would have both of them. But I have an HPI Baja 5B SS that fullfills that urge when I do get it. Mostly I just build custom rigs and go crawling though. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either truck. You just need to do a good bit of research and decide what you're looking for, and see which truck fits the bill. I'm looking forward to eigth scale brushless monster trucks, factory production. With Losi producing a factory 8th scale brushless buggy, its only a matter of time.

Back