Can I use regular lock nuts on wheels?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcobrien

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I managed to lose one of my large flanged wheel nuts earlier. Can I use a regular locking nut (as per photo.. It has a much smaller flange)? Or do I risk busting the wheel as the load isn't as spread out? Using 7" Blast/Goliath wheels/tyres..

Also, should I thread lock the wheel nuts?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348770622.409312.jpg

as long as its the same thread,just throw a bigger washer on and it'll work no problem.

as long as its the same thread,just throw a bigger washer on and it'll work no problem.

Do they need to be serrated like the stock HPI ones?

The serrated ones just help bite the wheel and keep them from coming loose. But as long as the threads the same any will work. Just keep close eye on them from backing off.

My front left wheel keeps coming off for some reason. Happened twice today which means I don't have trust to go fast/hard.

Would there be any reason for this (tried different flange nuts). Even put a dab of thread lock on all four before using.

I read somewhere that a washer between the wheel & serrated flange nut will help. Does anyone agree or have alternative solutions?

Dont know what savage you have or what wheels you are using but I am using the ofna hexes on my XL and they work great.

Locktite needs to cure for a couple hours. Be sure you're using removeable locktite. Add a dab to the threads, tighten the nut and wait a few hours. Wheel should never come loose on it's own then.

Dont know what savage you have or what wheels you are using but I am using the ofna hexes on my XL and they work great.

Have a Savage X 4.6 with HPI Blast wheels & Goliath tyres (17mm hex)..

---------- Post added at 7:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:03 PM ----------

Locktite needs to cure for a couple hours. Be sure you're using removeable locktite. Add a dab to the threads, tighten the nut and wait a few hours. Wheel should never come loose on it's own then.

I used the HPI blue thread lock, put a little dab on the bolt, screwed tight & left overnight. Maybe I need to use a bit more or get some oil resistant Loctite thread lock? How do I know it's removable?

Which of these Loctite thread locks is best?

http://www.loctite.co.uk/cps/rde/xc...dDotUID=0000000276|pageIndex=0|action=search|

Last edited:
It'll say on the tubes. Generally, blue locktite is removeable, green and red will require some heat to break loose. Shake your tube up real good too.

Back