can i use decker tool instead of stock roto start for savage roto start engine?????????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baoduong

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I losted my roto starter, can i use the decker tool to start the roto start engine on my savage? If yes so do i need any special decker or i can use any decker tool to start it?

You can use a cordless drill in place of the Rotostart, it just needs to be able to have enough power to turn the engine over and turn it fast enough (the right gear ratio). I've used one before (a Craftsman brand) in a pinch, but they are bulky to use. You might want to check out eBay or post up a wanted to buy thread here in the right section, as I'm sure you'll find someone who doesn't need theirs or has an extra.

HTH...
Mark

A couple things to consider

I've heard of using a drill in place of the roto start system can cause some problems. Obviously you need to make sure that the drill is turning in the right direction and the safety device in place of the roto start is that it shuts down in the event of a flooded engine. With the drill in place of the roto start if you keep trying to turn over a flooded engine you could possibly damage your engine. Atleast this is the case according to my knowledge. I personally don't bother priming my XL becuase if I do prime it, then for some reason it likes to flood. That could be your problem if that's the way you toasted your roto start. On ebay they start around 20 bucks and go up from there. Just make sure you get one designed for the big block engines.

1. Make sure it's turning the correct direction (clockwise)
2. Don't use drill at full power.

Ditched the rotostart before ever using it because i didnt have a charger for the pack.

How many Volt of the drill battery that i should use for ? or it doesn't matter ?

Last edited:
Shouldn't matter so long as you don't spin too fast and if its got enough gusto to turn ( doesn't take much)

Back