Can I convert my HPI 12R SC non pull start engine to work with an HPI Roto 2 electric starter?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie3

RC Newbie
Reaction score
After 20 year of off and on RC car usage I'm looking to get back into it. One of the things that has had me off for the last 3 years is the hassle of starting my Team Associated RC10 Nitro with the starter box. I bought it as a RTR and blew the engine within a few weeks. I replaced it with a HPI Nitro Star 12R SC non pull start engine. It was super fast as I was told by any experienced driver. I got the non pull start because I thought I might start racing but never did. This week I got back into all my electric cars and had a blast (surprised they ran with no need to tool on them after 3 years!) I picked up a HPI ROTO start 2 thinking it would work with my engine. After taking off the back plate today I came to realize I'm missing something. Wrong drive shaft? As I said it's a non pull start.

So my question is can I do anything to convert this engine to work with the roto start or am I stuck either using the pain in my ass bump start box? Honestly, I'd rather just purchase a new engine if I can't convert it. After all it's what made me stop using it in the first place.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

You'll need a starting shaft, black plate and roto start adaption kit. That includes the gear necessary. You'll need a OWB too.

OK. I'll look online for those things. I already purchased the Roto 2 starter not knowing it wouldn't work. What is a OWB? Thanks!