Calling all geeks...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I recently set up a brand new HP laptop with Win 10 for a friend and had it hard wired it to my modem while setting it up. He called me today and says he can't get it to accept the password. He doesn't have an internet connection, yet, but that's no reason for it not to start.
I checked it out and when it powers up it opens to the boot page with the digital time readout, not the desktop.
I can't find a way to get to the desktop and tapping the touch pad brings up the password page with his Outlook eMail but it's not online.
There's a message that there's no internet detected and to use the last used password.
We don't want email, we just want to open the computer for other things but can't find the page for the main computer password. What am I missing?
I despise Windows 10.

That email password IS the new computer password. Once that is entered correctly, the desktop will appear whether you are online or not.

Seriously? When I had it hard wired to my modem it opened with the computer password.
He's not home so we'll give your suggestion a try later.

I just heard from him. He said he tried that many times. Nothing is opening it.
I'll get his laptop later and see what I can get when it's online.

When Microsoft brought out Windows 10, they basically made it so connected everything to your Microsoft account. It was supposed to make it easier, but ends up confusing a lot of new/less computer literate users (like my mom).

Yup sounds like Hamz is on the right path here. If it's asking for his outlook info then he'll need to enter his microsoft password. You can setup a Windows 10 machine to use a local account instead of a microsoft account but it's basically hidden and not very up front about it as microsoft wants you to do it their way.

Not working. I put in his email password to Outlook and the message is:
"Your device is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this device."

=========================================================

EDIT:
Okay, so I hard wired it to my modem, did it again and got the message that it was the wrong password. We figured out what was wrong and it connected. Turned it off, disconnected from the modem and restarted. It worked.
STUPID QUESTION! What the hell is the computer password for if you sign on with Outlook?

Last edited:
Its refreshing to see I'm not the only one who gets confused by 10. I hated it so much at first I went back to 7, but am now back on it and it takes me along time of just staring at the screen trying to figure out where anything is now.

STUPID QUESTION! What the hell is the computer password for if you sign on with Outlook?
It's your Outlook password. I know if you're online, you can set it up to use a passcode similar to an ATM or smartphone.

It's your Outlook password. I know if you're online, you can set it up to use a passcode similar to an ATM or smartphone.
My point was that he set up a password to get on the computer just like we all have with all the computers we've ever owned. Then there was the Outlook email password to set up a new account for email. NOW, the computer password is not needed? Then why was it required? EVERY computer I've ever used or worked on has a Windows password AND an email password and you don't need the email password unless you want to use email.
Ironically, my cousin in Connecticut called me Saturday because he had left his computer to make dinner and when he got back it was in the process of installing Windows 10. NO PERMISSION needed by him. I find that more invasive than a virus! What the hell is going on and WHY is this happening?
I got it stopped but he's now unwilling to leave his computer for any length of time without turning it off completely.

And then there is Windows update.
Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Microsoft is trying to use my computer. Yes, you can turn it off but you have to go looking for it. And them you have to wonder what else is going on in the background. Turning it off does not seem to mean that when I receive updates my computer is stopped from connecting to other unknown souces on the net.

It's been all over the tech sites about Microsoft doing the upgrade without permission. To stop it actually requires editing the registry. The reason for the push to update is to get as many people as possible off of an obsolete OS as soon as as possible and before the free upgrade period ends to avoid charging people, @Rolex.

My computer password is also my email password but it is not an outlook account.

I keep putting it off as well, honestly I don't know if my 7 year old computer can handle the upgrade. When my OS becomes obsolete I will just a buy a bare bones new computer, all I use it for is MS Office suite pictures and printing.

Yes. Friend had the exact same issue- it's set as default to do this and is just a stupid idea from microsoft...

I got home yesterday after being out for a few hours and of course my screensaver was on. When I moved the mouse, there it was, the Microsoft window in the center of the desktop with Win 10. Fortunately, I have things set to never download or install without my permission so I only had to close it.

Back