bulk heads and drive train upgrade ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneer1976

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so I've cleaned up my newused t-maxx .15 and I've found broken screws in the bulkheads so i tried getting it out and it cracked the bulkhead so i figured id upgrade to the aluminum like everyone suggests on here. The only ones i found were by integy, and i know all say stay away from. I'm looking to buy from tower hobbies and i couldnt find any there except the integys. Can some one suggest which ones to get..

I want to upgrade the drivetrain also.(will upgrade motor later, and here drivetrain needs upgrading) i wanted to use the CVD sets i see they look stronger, is this a good upgrade? Do i need to upgrade the trans and the diffs? If so what do you guys suggest i use...
Thanks
Scott

ok so for the fast lane combo bulks, is the standard better? or is it better to do the hybrid? and if hybrid which gears would i use?
Thanks

You can get hybrid bulks to fit either 1/8 scale diffs or standard diffs. If you are not planning on putting an ultra powerful engine in your truck I'd just stick with standard diffs. You can always purchase stronger t-maxx diff parts in the future if you need to.

ok so I'm going ith the hybrids. Thanks
Another ? the cvd kits all the ones i see say for the 2.5 or 3.3 i have the orig. .15 whats the diff. will they still work or will i have to upgrade something.
Thanks

Pretty sure the 2.5 ones will work.

It depends on the length of your suspension arms. The 2.5 and 3.3 TMaxxes have longer suspension arms than the original (.15) TMaxx. There definately are not as many choices for CVD's for the original length suspension arms. You could always upgrade your suspension arms to RPM brand (inexpensive and tough) but you'll also need to go to longer tie-rods as well.

I say leave the drivetrain alone until you upgrade your powerplant. When you start breaking stuff then you'll know exactly what to upgrade. That is unless you're going for the look alone.

well since i was upgrading the bulk heads since it had a broken screw in it and i cracked it tring to remove it, i thought id upgrade the drive train at this time, ill be putting a bigger motor in it down the road.

i upgraded my first gen T-Maxx to MIP cvds and RPM arms. Everything worked good until i realized i needed new tie rods. Well i got some new ones only i went all out. I bought the new traxxas tube tie rods. got home happy as can be then i realized the tie rods are not long enough for the original style axle carriers. well back to the hobby shop to figure this out. I then needed to upgrade to revo style axle cariers and new bearings. got back home only to realize the cvd ends are to short. so back to the hobby shop which luckily traded my ends for new ones. after that everything was right and up to uber basher specs. not exactly cheap but it was worth it. So what i suggest is get rpm arms (please don't get the colored ones) and buy new axle carriers and bearings. Then get a cvd set for the new tmaxx or revo and to finish get either the traxxas tubes (which are awsome) or check out the new titanium tubes from hot racing. If your low on cash the new style t-maxx tie rods will be fine. with out center shafts your looking at a 200 dollar setup which is expensive but is much stronger and will offer more parts options. Alot of people run the stock shafts so i guess dont upgrade until you have to but be warned it is hard to get original style upgrades so going to the new style is worth it. One last thing you could sell the truck and just buy a new 3.3 tmaxx for around 400 and no upgrading is needed.

Back