bruiser for 60 bucks!!!! yeah baby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallicamaxx

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i was down working at my lhs and a guy came in with a mint condition tamiya bruiser that his buddy gave to him, never run, he didnt know what he had and wanted to sell it,so he said he would sell it for $60 i of course took him up on his offer like the "good boy" my mama raised me to be and he was on his way, who said friday the 13 wasn't lucky =devil :thumbsup:

Don't you feel kinda bad for taking advantage of the situation? The guy came down there to ask for your advice and then you rip him off.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across like a jackass, but I hate when I see the LHS employees ripping off people.

Matt

He shouldn't feel bad at all.

Here's a guy with no knowledge, dont want to run it, and got something for free. Was he taking advatage of the friend who gave it to him for free? I mean cmon' he got it for free and sold it for $60 that's not right? please.

If he had wanted it, he would have kept it. If he had the knowledge and know how, he would have sold it on Ebay.

The fact is metallicmaxx has this knowledge. He worked hard to figure out what they are worth. He also most likely spent hours upon hours reading in rc mags, and forums to get the rc knowledge he has.

Would it be right for him to come in, get advice, and sell it without giving metallicmaxx some commmision? After all he used his knowledge.

He shouldn't feel bad about the way the world works. I pay $3.29 for a gallon of milk, fred meyers probably pays $1.50. Are they ripping me off? NO.

I pay because I don't have the knowledge the or even the amibtion to run a store, provide refrigeration, or make sales contracts.

The dude got something for free, and a few days later got $60 for it, they most likely both walked away happy.

Pawn shops, second hand stores, goodwill, tire dealers. Hell even retail hobby shops do the same thing evertime they make a sell.

It's just the way it is.

Originally posted by mattyk6
Don't you feel kinda bad for taking advantage of the situation? The guy came down there to ask for your advice and then you rip him off.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across like a jackass, but I hate when I see the LHS employees ripping off people.

Matt
I hate to open a can of worms but I think that's got some merrit to it.

Definetaly tired of seeing the LHS rip a guy off too, but I don't see it in this case.

The guy came in wanting to sell it, not looking for advice. Also, it was a gift, given to him.

He had no money into it, the guy who gave it to him most likely thought it was in good hands and would be kept, or used.

I feel in this case, the guy who have it to him orignally, got gyped.

Was he supposed to say "its worth a grand go sell it on Ebay"?

Or was he supposed to offer $500 for it, and sell it for a grand?

Or, "I'll sell it on Ebay for you, do all the work, and you can keep the cash?"

Just my opinion. If a hobby shop buys and sells used stuff, they have to buy low and sell high, or they won't be in businsess. Same with just about every business in the book.

What do you guys think he should have done?

So how much could you pick up a bruiser now for?

Anyhow, good find! :thumbup:

Like others have said, you both walked away happy.

Great vintage RC find. I remember the old Bruisers. Are you gonna keep it?

OK first thing is he didnt come in to get advice, he came in to the store to get rid of it and sell it to the first person who had$60. so i dont considder ripping someone off if they come in to sell it and they state the price, i did nothing to fool him, he said"hey my buddy gave me this and my wife is going to kill me if i get another hobby , so i dont want it,(i said how much do you want for it) he said, i really dont care ill take 60 bucks for it." now you can't tell me youcant tell me you wouldnt take up that offer if it came your way and just because i happen to work at a hobby store it means that the same rules dont apply to me. I'm not going to sell it for more proffit. i think that wouldnt be fair. i am just incredibly fond of old tamiya models and now i have another shelf queen to add to my collection.

p.s. a bruiser in that condition is worth up to $3000 :dancin: :breakdown

Last edited:
can you post some pics, I have never seen one before?

Sorry, but if it were me, I would have it up on eBay already.

Just to make a profit.

my buddy just broke my cammera, i will post pics when and i get my new one. i would never sell this, it is my #1 favorite truck of all time. :thankyou:

I would sell it in a heart beat for 3gs. Plus I'm gonna be a little rich bitch when Lebron James becomes rookie of the year. I have like 400 rookie cards that are in gem mint 10 condition that i can sell for $175 now to people online in different states, and when he becomes rookie of the year i can sell them for $350. So you figure that I'm gonna make a huge profit. I live in ohio and i can get ahold of cards so easy and make a huge profit off them........Nick

Originally posted by metallicamaxx
OK first thing is he didnt come in to get advice, he came in to the store to get rid of it and sell it to the first person who had$60. so i dont considder ripping someone off if they come in to sell it and they state the price, i did nothing to fool him, he said"hey my buddy gave me this and my wife is going to kill me if i get another hobby , so i dont want it,(i said how much do you want for it) he said, i really dont care ill take 60 bucks for it." now you can't tell me youcant tell me you wouldnt take up that offer if it came your way and just because i happen to work at a hobby store it means that the same rules dont apply to me. I'm not going to sell it for more proffit. i think that wouldnt be fair. i am just incredibly fond of old tamiya models and now i have another shelf queen to add to my collection.

p.s. a bruiser in that condition is worth up to $3000 :dancin: :breakdown

No need to defend anything bro. The guy wanted $60, you paid $60, both walk away happy.

Look forward to the pics. I used to have a bruiser and wish I still did. Got rid of it when I got a clod when they first came out. I kick myself in the ass every time I think about it.

I really don't see the $3000 dollar value in a ride like that but I also didn't see the value in Beanie Babies. Just think of all the new stuff you could get for 3k!