broke my tranny, dont know what

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3DN3CKRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I got my new dynamite big red engine in, had to file out some of the side rail of the frame to make it fit with out smashing the clutch bell gear and spur gears together. Got it all broken in was runnen great, supper rich but great acceleration and everything. We went to a bigger parking lot down the road to try and get the carb tuned better and broke something.. Not exactly sure what or how but was hopen you guys could help me out.

Engine runs fine still and will rev up like hell but the truck will not even try to move. So I tore it all apart got the tranny out and every thing looked fine, no striped gears(was kinda hopen it was). Then I noticed that this two parts seam like they used to be one part:
IMG_0253.JPG

This is the front side of the transmission. Haven't been able to get the cover inside off but don't wanna break it not knowing if I need it off or not.
IMG_0182.JPG

Any one know if this is fixable/ a part number? Anything will help thanks in advance!

It's been a while since I've had an older savage, I think that's a savage 25 transmission, older savages had transmission cases that opened like that, newer savages now have the option to remove just the top of the case.

The cover kinda looks like the reverse module that can be bought for a savage x. Newer savages don't have that inner cover, theres just an empty spot with a gear on a shaft that sends power to the front and rear diffs.

That is the reverse module. They will continue to break in that spot with .28 power. poop can the revv

and that would explain why I didn't know what it was never used one. I did send him to the parts list on HPI website in his other thread.

That is the reverse module. They will continue to break in that spot with .28 power. poop can the revv

yes it is the reverse module. didn't have as much time as I needed the other day to look into it any more but I went down to the hobby store today and he gave me a part number #86081 will I be able to put this in if I just take the reverse out? don't want to order parts I can't use

also wondering if I should upgrade anything else that is likely to break in the tranny or what I should watch out for with the .28? might as well order every thing at once seeing how its all apart already. planning on getting a aluminum clutch at the same time seeing how the old one was just about shot, 2 shoes where worn quite a bit and the 3rd looked almost new...

Last edited:
That shaft is all you need. There is a stickey thread in this sec to bulletproof the 3spd tranny if you want to make real sure.

You will still need the shaft.

That shaft is all you need. There is a stickey thread in this sec to bulletproof the 3spd tranny if you want to make real sure.

You will still need the shaft.
awesome thanks for the help. will be ordering parts tomorrow when I get time to look at what clutch I have the money for at the moment

Back