Broke already?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanNitro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey everyone I'm Josh, brandy new to the site and to nitro rc's.

My buddy bought a t-maxx a wile ago and "FORCED" me to get one. I debated over the maxx 3.3 and the Savage, ended up going with the maxx cause most his buddies have a traxxas.

Now my problem is I got it about a week ago, broke it in last weekend tank for tank just as it says. Everything went great had to lighten the fuel a bit but other than that it RAN perfect.

I brought it home and the next morning went to start it up using the easy start and it crept forward. Now it wont start unless it's in the air and the tires can spin freely. I tore the motar apart to check everything and put a pull start in wile it was apart. when I put it back together it seemed to pull fine I went outside, drove a ten foot circle and when I hit the break it stalled again

Tried to pull the pull start and got the same thing feels like it's jamming up and now it feels like when i pull the starter string out it is being yanked back twice as hard.

Should I have gone with the savage:angry:

Hey everyone I'm Josh, brandy new to the site and to nitro rc's.

My buddy bought a t-maxx a wile ago and "FORCED" me to get one. I debated over the maxx 3.3 and the Savage, ended up going with the maxx cause most his buddies have a traxxas.

Now my problem is I got it about a week ago, broke it in last weekend tank for tank just as it says. Everything went great had to lighten the fuel a bit but other than that it RAN perfect.

I brought it home and the next morning went to start it up using the easy start and it crept forward. Now it wont start unless it's in the air and the tires can spin freely. I tore the motar apart to check everything and put a pull start in wile it was apart. when I put it back together it seemed to pull fine I went outside, drove a ten foot circle and when I hit the break it stalled again

Tried to pull the pull start and got the same thing feels like it's jamming up and now it feels like when i pull the starter string out it is being yanked back twice as hard.

Should I have gone with the savage:angry:
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you may have a broken clutch spring. Take your clutch bell off and check it out. As far as it pulling hard.....its still a new engine. I've ran 8 tanks through mine and it still pulls hard. I went with the ez start anyway. The top of the sleeve is tapered. Wide on bottom, narrow on top. Your piston needs to,seat in that sleeve. Be patient, it'll all work out. Sometimes gets frustrating but that's the fun part!!!!!!! Trust me, I'm new too.;)

The guy at traxxas said the same thing about trhe pulling hard. he said it sounded like it was catching at TDC and thats y it pulled hard. He told me it just needs to break in more.

as for the clutch spring I took everything apart and the spring was still wraped around the pads, are then soposed to be hooked to something? The spring is just being pinched between the bell housing and the pad groovs....If that makes sence

and Y does it feel like the pull string is being yanked back in by the motor? it feels like more than just the return spring pulling it back

If ya take your clutch shoes right out of the clutch bell...(you should have 2 shoes)...the spring should be in the groove wrapped around the shoes and hooked by both ends. If its broke, you can make another small loop and hook them together to get you by for now. As far as the pull-start, I really don't know. I'm strictly ez start. I hear a lot of times people break the pull-start chord. But using one is just an opinion. I really haven't messed around with the pull. FYI...I put a little nitrogen fuel in the head where the plugs goes and let the piston pump for a few cranks. That'll help it loosen up a bit. Hope this helps.

OK AWSOME!!! I'm hoping thats trhe problem. when I took the shoes out the spring went flying, I thought it was just held in by the walls of the housing so I put it back the same way. I'm just gona grab a new spring tomrow and tare it down when I get home. I'll post back with the outcome.

Thanks alot man

OK AWSOME!!! I'm hoping thats trhe problem. when I took the shoes out the spring went flying, I thought it was just held in by the walls of the housing so I put it back the same way. I'm just gona grab a new spring tomrow and tare it down when I get home. I'll post back with the outcome.

Thanks alot man
No prob man......that's what we're here for.;)

the tmaxx is all about patience! Just dont get frustrated. A lot of people get frustrated and loose interest. Ebay is full of tmaxx's with less than a gallon use.
Just take advantage of this great forum and your problems can't be that bad.

If the engine is yanking the rope back in, the one way bearing may be binding. This would cause your stalling as well as add extra stress to the engine. Stress=heat=wasted engine. The way to check this is too take the engine off, pop the 3 screws that hold the ez start on off, and spin the owb manually. It should grab one way and spin freely the other. If it doesn't spin smoothly in the free direction, clean and lube or replace. Being that your new, this may seem like a real pain. The truth is, this is a common problem and par for the coarse with nitro rc. After you do it once(and you have), it's a quick procedure and easy as pie. Just remember to set your gear mesh on the clutch and spur correctly and use blue, removable locktite on your engine mount bolts(any screws that thread into metal need locktite).

Just want to say you guys rock!

Replaced the clutch spring, turnes out one loop had snaped off. took me a minute to pinch it shut, kinda tricky.

aslo checked the OWB, everything spines nice and smoothly and locks nice and tight when turned the other way.

Took it outside, got it running after a little retuning, I had played around with the idle speed thinking thats what was inguaging the clutch.

Got it up to temp and shes running like a champ, would like to adjust the fuel a little cause it does bog down a bit if I juice it but other than that she spins like a top (All thanks to NITROTALK)

Thats great news brudda. Glad to hear you got it rippin'! remember that when we need help!!!!! J/k....NOW!!!!! bash the hell out of it!!!! If its already broke, break it again!!!!!:hehe:

Last edited: