Break in during winter low temps?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinmarty

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My friend is going to get a new Tmaxx 2.5. It is under 10º here lately.

What is the lowest outdoor temp at which we can break in this engine, and/or are there any special procedures we should use, in addition to what the book says?

Thanks,
-Marty

I think it would be better to break in in the cold. It will help keep the temps down on the motor. Just make sure to follow the directions EXACTLY. Good luck!

Just dont let it cool down to the outside temp after a run. The DRASTIC change from 250' to 10' can cause warpage. Also, try to keep the vehicle at an indoor temp until you are ready to start it up for the first time. Colder will be harder to start.

Well I am gonna disagree with both of them at least partially. The cold can be bad if you are not able to get the engine hot enough you are gonna have to get it to atleast 220 for it to reach high enough temps to break in right. I do agree with not letting it cool as rapidly as -10 will do but I do recommend letting it fully cool between tanks to cycle the metals. Just bring it inside the house not the garage somewhere that is atleast 70 or so and then let it cool to room temp. Once at room Temp go out and run another tank. I have seen the 2.5 instructions and they are pretty good they way they recommend to break in the engine...

Lastly the reason I am hesitant to recommend breaking it at that frigid temp is I am afraid you will have to lean the motor our pretty drastically to get it up to a good temp to break in the piston and sleeve correctly. In doing so you may not be provding enough fuel to keep it well lubricated while you are breaking in the enigne.. Thats my take.. X

I tend to agree with X.

If it were mine I would excercise a little patience and wait for it to warm up a little more before break in.

I broke in my .21 bb during sub freezing temps and had no problem getting it up to normal operating temps at all. Didnt have to lean it at all. It did tend to cool down MUCH faster than normal. Which is why I say not to let it cool down outside in those temps. I havent broken in a 2.5 in this weather though so it could be different.

LOL! Isnt that the truth! Snowed again yesterday! Was 12 degrees when i went to work today and no looks of warm weather for a couple more weeks. Anything above 45 is WARM here hehehe

To summarize:

You can break-in the engine in any temperature, but it is of critical importance to get the engine up to normal operating temperatures or hotter. This heating process is necessary to get the internals set and working together. It allows the metals to expand to their proper size and get their fit right.

If you do decide to break-in the engine during the extreme cold temperature months, make sure you use a little common sense and caution. One, pre-heat the engine (a hair dryer is a good tool for doing this). Getting the engine warm first will make starting it that much easier. Two, between runs do not let the engine cool down out of doors. Either get it back indoors or have the hairdryer back on it quick fast and in a hurry. Letting the metal components of your engine cool too rapidly will lead to metal fatigue and severe damages (ie warped conrods, cracked piston heads, cracked sleeves, etc.)

Finally, as a product of trying to break-in the engine during such cold temperatures, you will most likely need to run a few more tanks of fuel through it during break-in in order to get the engine ready for proper running.

I think NCNitro had the best idea...wait until the outside air temps are up then have fun with your toy.

:trout:

Well, crap. I got you guys all fired up and now his wife says he changed his mind and doesn't want the Tmaxx because it is a summer hobby and he thinks it will detract from his fishing hobby.

We'll see if he still thinks that after he plays with my truck again (which WILL be in warmer weather - I don't like this MF cold).

Anyway, thanks for your advice!

Back