bought a new tmaxx 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchobbiest

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I ordered a tmaxx 2.5 from tower hobbies and was wondering what things i should do before i run my truck. i been out of the hobby for some time now and I'm a little rusty. kinda sucks to see that everybody is all about electric cars and trucks. my lhs kept trying to get me to buy a electric e maxx. so thats why i went to towerhobbies. any info would be great.

thanks jay

to get yourself up and running I would grab a few spare plugs ,wd40 ,airfilter elements and some decent aa batteries
temp gun will help also,also if your truck comes with a 4 aa battery hold for the truck I would suggest looking at a rechargeable hump pack ,they cost around 20 bucks and will save you hassles in the long run and keep you out running longer.

Welcome back to it JC! This web site is about nitro's so you came to the right place for info. (I'm pretty sure no one one here's going to try to talk you into buying electric anything.) Anyway, I went to Tower Hobby and was reading about your truck. They say to use 10 to 20% nitro fuel. ???? (I've never used anything less than 20%). You can use 20% to start with. Maybe the next gallon you buy you can get 25%. It will make that engine come alive. Down the road, if you need to change out the engine you can replace it with a 3.3 and you will also need a wheelie bar if you do that. As Chickenman said, get rid of the AA pack for the receiver and get a 5 cell hump pack. After you run and you are going to let the truck sit for a few days, take the glow plug out and your air cleaner off and spray some WD40 in the carb while you crank it over. This will coat the inside of your engine to keep it from rusting. You need to check and keep an eye on the gear mesh between your clutch bell gear and the spur gear. You loosen the engine and put a strip of printer paper between the gears and mash them together and tighten it up. There should be no binding in the gears. They should spin freely with very little play. Your Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz 3-channel system has a fail safe built into it to shut down the truck in the event that you loose the signal. You need to verify that it is functioning properly before you run it.

Thanks for the tips. Yea I can't wait to get my truck will be here monday. So stoked to be back in it. Missed the hobby. Got to get my hands on a temp gun. When I order my truck I got vp powermaster 30%

Congrats on your purchase! Welcome back to the hobby! I have always ran 30% with 11% oil and have never had a issue. Of course the lower nitro content will give you a little more engine life. Honestly though the extra tank maybe two or three you will get out of a engine isn't worth the lag in performance. I have engines that are two three years old with 10+ gallons through them and they have all had 30% in them from break in. My only trick is I don't lean mine all the way out. I run them just a tad rich keeping my temps around 205-210. Still get great performance plus long engine life.

Thanks for the tips. Yea I can't wait to get my truck will be here monday. So stoked to be back in it. Missed the hobby. Got to get my hands on a temp gun. When I order my truck I got vp powermaster 30%
Don't get too hung up on a temp gun. It's nice to have but if you put the correct amount of fuel through that engine, you don't really need one. You need to have a good air flow across the engine also. You should find an old body and cut the windshield out of it. Keep your new body new and beat up an old one.

If it comes with reverse the 2.5 will buck forward. After break in I would get a FOC kit for it.

I will remember that. What are some muse have up grades I should do when things start to break. It's going to be a basher so I'm sure I will break things

Forward only conversion rpm a arms. 17mm hubs and wheels just to start.

When doing the heat cycle break in should I lean the hsn a little from the factory setting??? Before I even start the engine

No absolutely not unless it won't run then only lean it a little. Use a sock or something to wrap the head to keep the temps up.

Your welcome. Honestly with that engine the 5 tank break in will do fine. The heat cycling break in is really for big block engines. If it's cold outside you may still want to wrap the head but other than that you can use the standard run in methods.

Ok. That's the way i remember the "old school way". Never heat cycled before. With 30% nitro and living in michigan should I use a hot glow plug or cold. And I used McCoy glow plugs when I was running nitro before but I'm thinking O.S now. ANY suggestions???

Os #8 or traxxas 3232 plugs. Cold or hot weather those are my plugs of choice. I live in the south though so maybe someone from your area may have a better suggestion. It doesn't get much colder than 20 degrees here and it's usually in the high 30's in the afternoon's in the winter.

Ok. That's the way i remember the "old school way". Never heat cycled before. With 30% nitro and living in michigan should I use a hot glow plug or cold. And I used McCoy glow plugs when I was running nitro before but I'm thinking O.S now. ANY suggestions???
Where in Michigan? I'm 20 miles south of detroit.

I live 200 miles north of Detroit clare area. I grew up in Wyandotte tho.

I live 200 miles north of Detroit clare area. I grew up in Wyandotte tho.

Clare is a real nice town. We used to have a place in Harrison but Dad sold it. My wife is from Wyandotte. (21st and Oak St.) I grew up in South Rockwood. I'm presently in Woodhaven. I thought if you were close we could get together and run trucks but 200 miles is a little to far.

I have family down there still in southgate. Maybe one time I'm down we can get together and run our trucks.