Body Painting Disaster

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwe33

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all
I bought a HPI Pontiac GTO 1967 body and I wanted to paint it with Pactra RC298 Purple Crush Lexan Spray Paint. But I didn't realize that I needed to back it with another paint called Pactra Backing Black to achieve the look I wanted. However the picture shows the disastrous results of my first attempt at this. Any tips to avoid this in the future? Also can I use Pactra Outlaw Black to paint it instead. Below are pictures of the result so far and what I intended to achieve:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361510417868?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://geb.ebay.in/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=371508087952

20160405_003342.jpg
20160405_003401.jpg
20160405_003401.jpg
HPI-17000-6533.jpg

It looks like a total different color!

One tip is to always do a practice shot on a piece of lexan cut off.
If you had a piece laying around ,try it ,an then put a black backing paint to
see if the color changes.

The outlaw black might give you the look you want, but that backing stuff... I don't know if it's a different formula or what but it makes the paint seem to last better.

You can still back it with black. Just remember, backing is how you get everything to pop in the end as well as protect the final paint job. Always back.

Not much you can do now. Remember to do a test patch next time.

That's not a bad looking color that's on it now ,it may not be what you want.
Actually it looks like the common color that you see on a lot of real GTO's.

Before you back it with anything, you need to hold the shell up to a light and see if you have even coverage. If not, the backing will make it look REALLY bad.
Make sure you don't have light areas and thicker areas. The light areas will show the light, but they will also be very distorted when they are backed.
Your best bet is to spray it while holding it up to the sky so you can see the coverage as it evens out. Only then can you get good results with the backing.

You can also test using a clear 2-liter bottle that's been washed and cut open. Just prep like you do when you paint.

I know it's not the color you were after, but that's sharp!

Is that the '66?
You did a really good job on all the chrome trim. It looks great.

--------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I just read the first post. It's a '67. Not much difference between those 2 beauties.

Last edited:
Looks absolutely great to me- I'd stick with it :)

Ok so what gives? Is the chrome on the outside? Your first pics show it painted without any masking on the chrome areas. The final look appears to be good to me.

Ok so what gives? Is the chrome on the outside? Your first pics show it painted without any masking on the chrome areas. The final look appears to be good to me.
First of all the paint colour is different to what was on the paint can top. Secondly when I started spraying bubbles started appearing and I was alarmed to realise that I needed to back the paint with Backing Black (PACTRA) which is not available anywhere. If you look a little closer you will see patches where the bubbles affescted it. The paint was not even enough when I eventually backed it with a black colour it has come through the main paint in parts. I apologize for the poor quality photos.

But you live and you learn. The second one I did was marginally better.

As far as backing black, I've successfully used just their black paint on my electric rigs. I think that the backing black is a bit more fuel-resistant.

I've used several colors of those Pactra transparent paints. From my experience,I learned that you can GREATLY vary the color by how much of the main color you spray before applying the black. You have to have really good lighting and sometimes you just need to to hold a piece of black paper behind the painted area to see what it looks like. There's more color there than you can see without the black. If you have paint left,try it out on a soda bottle as mentioned above.

Having said all that,the color in the picture of the car and the color on the cap in the in the sellers listing you posted does not look the same to me. Also you didn't answer the chrome question. I am guessing it's mostly decals? And the bottom line,unless you're after a shelf queen,why worry? Bash it up and do another one!:thumbs-up:

Back