blown ballooning tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rak12

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Has anyone attempted to reinforce the stock traxxas talon tires? I like the tread pattern, it suits my general bashing needs, but i find the sidewalls a little soft especially while cornering. I was considering adding a belted layer inside the tire maybe using a bicycle inner tube or similar material. and what about scuffing of the sidewalls? any solutions there? I sometimes run in real rocky areas that tend to really beat up the tires. I'm running the tmaxx3.3 4908 with only minor upgrades at the moment. (inetgy SHD bulkheads front and rear, RPM 3 piece skidplate( a worthy investment) ! ;)

Adding any material to the tires sidewall is most likely going to throw them way out of balance. Nylon reinforced tape on the bottom of the tread works well for ballooning issues. It's easy to evenly apply it there. Sorry about the integy parts.;)

The problem that I have found with most of the Talon tires is that they don't hold together very well and the foams that come with them are terrible. I presonally just wen't with some good Proline's or Jconcepts and never looked back.

Thanks for the input, I really like the reinforced tape idea, simple & effective.
As for the stock tires, you are right, they dont seem to hold up too well. They are wearing much faster than I would have liked. I will have to upgrade soon. I'm sold on the concept of beadlockers. A lot easier and cleaner than gluing! Any recommendations on reliable and trustworthy web retailers that offer decent bargains?

just today i had a stock tire litteraly burst while turning it split along the rim then across the tread. truly amazing to see it happen considering they are not sealed tires (foam filled).

Rak beadlocks aren't that great unless you like screwing in about an hours worth of tiny screws....I have a set of 40 series with the 23mm mounts and I used them maybe 4 / 5 times only when I don't have anything else to run....I have big joes on mine so they are REALLY heavy and I need to do about a 5t drop in my pinion to keep the same snappy feel of the line....but I get a lot of heat (E-maxx) on my ESC from the extra load....a good duct tape on the inside of the tire will save you alot of wear...make sure you keep the overlap in tape to a minimum and get stiffer foams if you can

Back