Beveled diff gears

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatcat1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got my new savage x 4.6 it appears (according to the manual) it already has beveled gears install in it. If that's the case should I just shim it and fill it with some new diff fluid and be done with it? I have a bottle of 10,000 diff fluid that I plan on using on front and back. my next question is how full should I fill the diff box? I have done some reading and it looks like there are two camps of opinions out there. Thanks in advance!

I'm curious in this thread aswell.. I just got my x 4.6 I've driven it but I'm not sure why i would need to shim it ? Because if its RTR I'm sure HPI has taken care of any issues like that. but maybe not. I've not had any issues with the diffs so far but what do you think will happen if i do not do this ?

*EDIT* from searching around apparently the gear mesh might not be correct with out them installed. But i dont really feel like taking apart the whole front end and rear end.. i mean it does come with shims but I'm not sure if i wanna take it apart and it actually already have shims installed in the case... Obviously if it already has extras it means that the ones in the case when they wear out youll want to change them.

Last edited:
Personally - Weather you or your lhs does it - GET YOUR DIFFS PROPERLY SHIMMED!!!!! Dont mean to yell but I went thru 3 rear and 2 front diffs with my mgt 4.6 . When I bought my last sets I had my lhs verify the mesh and reshim as required and havent evperienced any issues since

this is a good write up on shiming your rears
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47876&highlight=shim

---------- Post added at 9:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:38 PM ----------

I just got my new savage x 4.6 it appears (according to the manual) it already has beveled gears install in it. If that's the case should I just shim it and fill it with some new diff fluid and be done with it? I have a bottle of 10,000 diff fluid that I plan on using on front and back. my next question is how full should I fill the diff box? I have done some reading and it looks like there are two camps of opinions out there. Thanks in advance!

you fill it up right to the top just before the top. make sure you have cleaned your diff very well so ther is no old grease on the gears or inside the casing

From what I've reading on other places and from HPI they claim the diffs are pre shimmed and do not need that done before driving it.. Also from what i read is lots of people actually have never had an issue with their diffs even after year of no shimming. so i think its a matter of getting the bad one ? I so far have had no issue with it so i dont think I'm going to take apart nearly my whole front and rear end just to find out there are already shims installed. because if HPI claims there are shims already installed i think thats good enough validation to me. I'm pretty sure they come with extra shims its only because the ones already in there wear out over time.

Personally - Weather you or your lhs does it - GET YOUR DIFFS PROPERLY SHIMMED!!!!! Dont mean to yell but I went thru 3 rear and 2 front diffs with my mgt 4.6 . When I bought my last sets I had my lhs verify the mesh and reshim as required and havent evperienced any issues since

I'll do it myself to be sure its done correctly! Thanks for the heads up.

this is a good write up on shiming your rears
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47876&highlight=shim

---------- Post added at 9:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:38 PM ----------

you fill it up right to the top just before the top. make sure you have cleaned your diff very well so ther is no old grease on the gears or inside the casing

Thanks for the link and the info Chester.

From what I've reading on other places and from HPI they claim the diffs are pre shimmed and do not need that done before driving it.. Also from what i read is lots of people actually have never had an issue with their diffs even after year of no shimming. so i think its a matter of getting the bad one ? I so far have had no issue with it so i dont think I'm going to take apart nearly my whole front and rear end just to find out there are already shims installed. because if HPI claims there are shims already installed i think thats good enough validation to me. I'm pretty sure they come with extra shims its only because the ones already in there wear out over time.

If you choose not to that's up to you. I however am going to err on the side of caution and at least check mine to be sure they are correct. Don't assume that since its RTR and HPI says its pre shimmed and all doesn't mean that the person assembling it did it correctly! Heck you have to be sure the screws are tightened correctly prior to even starting the thing when new!!:whhooo:

Yeah its good be be cautious, i just guess i like to just personally feel like if other consumers of this truck that I've talked to have said they have not shimmed their trucks for 2 engine lifes. and other saying that hpi had that trouble with the x 4.6 dual shock i think it was the 2009 or 10 model and they didnt shim that model. But I'm pretty sure this savage they did that.

unless the new X is different from the x from about a year ago you better shim them. anything mass produced is done quickly. if you shim the diffs you shouldnt have any problems with the X. the diffs were my only issue with it

unless the new X is different from the x from about a year ago you better shim them. anything mass produced is done quickly. if you shim the diffs you shouldnt have any problems with the X. the diffs were my only issue with it

Yep I'm Checking mine today.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I never shimmed the diffs in my XL and I've been beating the poop out of it almost everyday for a year now. No issues with them what so ever.

Back