Best traxxas nitro car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex banyard

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
what is the best nitro car that traxxas makes?

Instead of posting multiple "what's better" threads, let us know what you're looking for and we can help more. Here are the best trucks from Traxxas, IMO

Revo - Best Handling Traxxas MT

T-Maxx - Best "true" MT style MT from Traxxas

Slayer - Best nitro 4x4 SC from Traxxas

Nitro Slash - Best nitro 2wd SC from Traxxas

Nitro Stampede - Best 2wd Nitro MT from Traxxas

Nitro Rustler - Best ST from Traxxas

Jato - Best high speed ST from Traxxas

Nitro 4-Tec - Best Nitro TC from Traxxas

Best as far as ....? Best bang for the buck? Best parts support? Best for backyard bashing?

Best for racing on road?, Off road?, Both on and off road? Short course? Best for speed runs?

Last edited:
I'm not a Traxxas fan at all, but I give credit where credit is due. The Revo is a fast, nimble and durable truck. It is also the ONLY Traxxas that would ever have a place in my stable, though I feel there are better choices for a 1/8 Truggy, which is what it's closest to being. The Revo is heavy, about 2 pounds more than any race bred 1/8 truggy.

not everyone races
traxxas makes some great rigs for beginners to seasoned rc's but your question is very broad.
my 2c's if you want something versatile and has a great aftermarket support and tons of hop ups go for either a t maxx or revo,revo being a bit more nimble and the maxx better for a basher.
something a bit cheaper and a bit smaller look and the nitro stampede/rustler both being great beginner rigs and are fairly tough out of the box and have plenty of upgrades available
at the end of the day you need to ask yourself 2 things ,what am I going to want/where am I going to run the rig I buy and what brand /parts does my lhs stock.

revo being a bit more nimble and the maxx better for a basher.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with that. The Revo is a far tougher vehicle than the Maxx. T-Maxx is relatively fragile among monster trucks, at least until you start upgrading to RPM and alloy parts. The Revo, on the other hand, is pretty durable in stock form, on par with other 1/8 MTs like the MGT 8.0 or Losi LST XXL/Aftershock/Megabaja, and it does handle a bit better than the others due to its lower center of gravity.

The Revo is pretty much a 1/8 truggy raised up a little, with MT wheels slapped on it.

And before someone starts telling me how tough their Maxx is, I've heard it all before, and I know what tough really is in RC. Very few people can manage to break the things I break, short of flat-out abusing them. I don't abuse, but I do demand a lot from my kits.

Best nitro car for doing what? Speed? Agility? What are you looking for it to do? It seems Traxxas has a model for just about every application or at least a great starter platform for what you want to do.

mate,i completely agree with what you said,the maxx is fragile in stock form and even the e maxx is too but they are a very easy rig to work on and I guess if your into these things like I am they never stay stock for long
there is a reason the revo is more expensive it is a nicer truck,years ago when I first got into nitro I couldn't afford the $950 price tag of the revo and bought a 4909 maxx instead at $800 in hind sight I should of saved more for the revo but after 6 years and many dollars spent I can whoop any truggy on the track but that's not what I'm about these days and she sits on top of a cabnet looking back at me haha
bottom line most of the traxxas gear is great some better some worse don't get me wrong I love the maxx platform ,hell I have 7 of them sitting behind me but i would go for a revo or maybe have a look at a slayer pro its not a pro level racer but its great fun at the track and moves very nicely on the hard stuff:)

The Revo is pretty much a 1/8 truggy raised up a little, with MT wheels slapped on it.

Just to clarify, Traxxas has never offered an 1/8 buggy or truggy and the Revo is nothing remotely close to a Truggy.
Its a monster truck and listed as such on their website.:)

Last edited:
Just about any rig out there by traxxas can be turned into a good dependable race rig. Traxxas make some of the best out of the box stock rigs. I have owned just about everything out there and I still prefer Traxxas. And you can't go wrong with the good ole Maxx rig, or Revo!

T Maxx is relatively fragile....?? WTH??
Okay man, I'm calling you out now. Not maliciously, but just as men do. Just what have you owned, bashed and raced? I've been in this 1999 and have owned many machines, race off road and oval and can not for the life of me figure out how you have this factory test ground knowledge? Do you work for a hobby shop? That would actually shed a lot of light on this truthfully. I guess you can say, "I respectfully disagree..."
SMH

You tube is nice, real machine time is real.

Last edited:
i am 13 not 23

Having owned/built/modified more TMaxx’s than I can count on both hands I can confirm the TMaxx in stock form is fragile compared to some other monster trucks in stock form.
The Revo is a little more durable out of the box than the T.
Both need upgraded if you intend to bash/race hard on a regular basis.

I say this with all honesty being a TMaxx fan since it came on the market.

T Maxx is relatively fragile....?? WTH??
Okay man, I'm calling you out now. Not maliciously, but just as men do. Just what have you owned, bashed and raced? I've been in this 1999 and have owned many machines, race off road and oval and can not for the life of me figure out how you have this factory test ground knowledge? Do you work for a hobby shop? That would actually shed a lot of light on this truthfully. I guess you can say, "I respectfully disagree..."

Well, you can look at my profile for a partial list of my current rigs. Unfortunately, though, I didn't get past the "A"s and it won't let me post any more.

Been in the hobby since 1994, have personally owned something from just about every make. My experience from those I haven't owned comes from working on them and testing after repairs; don't have a hobby shop, but I do run a side business repairing RC.

Now, I didn't say the T-maxx is junk that breaks if you look at it wrong. However, the arms, the axles and the stock transmission aren't going to hang in there for long if you run it hard. The stock shocks are also pretty much junk. Once you deal with those things, yeah, it's a pretty stout rig. Nothing wrong with the chassis or fundamental design.

Having said that, fair is fair, and really the only other 1/10 MT we can compare it to is the MMGT. The MMGT has better shocks and axles, but also weaker diffs. Transmissions are about the same, the arms on the MMGT will take a little more abuse before breaking.

Can the T-Maxx be a very tough bashing rig? Sure. But out of the box, the Revo or eRevo are much tougher, as are the HPI, Associated and Losi 1/8 MTs.

Just to clarify, Traxxas has never offered an 1/8 buggy or truggy and the Revo is nothing remotely close to a Truggy.
Its a monster truck and listed as such on their website

I know how they advertise it, but all one has to do is look at a Revo next to an RC8T, 8ight, ST-RR or other truggy to see how similar they are. Yes, the Revo uses F1 style suspension and sits a little higher. But if you slap a bulldog body on it, some 4" truggy tires and lower the ride height 1/2", you'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from any other truggy from across the track.

201019161514774.jpg

truggy-rc8t-race-spec-rtr-team-associated-rc-explosion-rojo.gif

losi8trtr1.jpg

ky31683t2b_2.jpg

Just about any rig out there by traxxas can be turned into a good dependable race rig.

I guess that depends on your definition of race. Only the Slash/Slayer trucks and Rustler fit into legal race classes.

Traxxas designed the Revo to be as close to a truggy platform as possible but still stay within the R.O.A.R specifications for a MT.
You can throw all the $$ you have in it and it will still be by definition a MT if you keep the basic chassis layout.
Even after investing all that $$ it still wont be able to hang with the good Truggy kits available with both drivers being equally proficient in their skills.

I'm not wanting to sound like a prick but the revo and maxx have their own thread topics for a reason....
to the op ,if you want to race at a track and be competive look at something other than traxxas but if want something that you have some fun just about anywhere and get parts anywhere on this planet, Australia included lol then look at traxxas sure they aint a racers rig and I'm sure there is always something that will out perform it.

the funny part is the op has even come back and say what he is look for in a rig.

thanks

Box stock any rig had it's weak points. If you want a tough basher rig I would say the HPI Savage just because I have beat the immortal pee out of all I have owned and never really broke anything. Now this is my opinion I am not a huge Savage fan because out of the box most of the Savage's I have owned never really impressed me in the speed department, no offense to the savage guys. And any rig can be made to go fast. Just check out some of Dream machines Savage builds. Not sure why everyone has so many problems with the MAXX transmission if you remove the reverse you pretty much eliminate most issue's in that department. I have been running a BB GS .21 Race mod engine on a stock plastic geared trans for quite some time with no breakage. The MGT is a great truck also. Unfortunate that the aftermarket support has pretty much dried up for it other than RPM stuff. Hardcore racing used to make awesome upgrades for the MGT back in the day. I am currently looking for Hardcore parts for my MGT build now. And if your talkin truggy anyone can take a truggy out of box and do pretty well with it. It takes more skill and in my opinion more fun to make a MT hang with the big dogs on the track.LOL:hehe: Never really been a truggy fan. Shame Losi discontinued the XXL to :( Nerver owned one but had a losi Aftershock was an ok rig.