Best NON-Bigblock for around 180??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domination

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I'm finally starting to get pissed of with this 2.5 POS engine I'm gunna try sealing the carb and and back plate and if that doesn't work I'm just gunna lean it out till i like how its running and wait for it to die. But I'm thinking of the sirio .18 3.0 engine which is going for about 190 so I'm thinking of that one but are there anyother small blocks preferrably .18 out there for that price or less thats better?? And also another question is on the sirio .18 are the screw holes in the head the same as the 2.5 cause i have a nice ACNCM head that i would like to swap over and also would my Dynamite exhuast work good for it also?

I am running the Wasp .18 and it is a great engine and great powerband for the price $90. also OS came out with a .18 size engine, u can try that.

later

How the power/performance on the wasp also along with the tunability and Temps

Also whats the hole sequence on the wasp for the head and also would the dynamite 2.5 exhust work on it becuase i like the price tag on that LOL:w00t:

EDIT: Also how much better would you say it is over the 2.5 and how would it compare to the sirio if youve ever used one

Last edited:
There is a drop-in engine guide in the June 04 issue for T-Maxx. They reviews 9 different engines. The ones I listed below will fit a TRX 2.5 T-Maxx. (According to the article) The others were either big blocks or for the orginial T-Maxx.

Fantom Racing FR18 - $150
Peak Performance Diablo .18 - $135
Sirio TX-18 - $190

Out of these choices I would suggest trying the Fantom.

the Wasp .18 is a side exhaust engine, so the 2.5 exhaust header wont work on it. the power of the wasp was very good even when it was running 1/2 turn richer then the factory settings. the wasp should make ur t-maxx wheelie once u get it tuned and the rear is stiff. I'm still in the process of tunning it, been too busy and the rear supension is really soft and one of the shocks are blown thanks to the Florida bash. lol. Team 17 had his pretty stock 2.5 there and that thing had crazy power, even with my wasp extra rich it still did pretty good keeping up. I havent seen the Sirio so i wouldnt know.

later

I've heard some good things about the fantoms but have no exsperience with them how are they all around basically I'm looking for a pwerhouse engine thats easy to tune with so-so temps

EDIT: ill make a poll on this later on

Last edited:
Originally posted by mcvickj
There is a drop-in engine guide in the June 04 issue for T-Maxx. They reviews 9 different engines. The ones I listed below will fit a TRX 2.5 T-Maxx. (According to the article) The others were either big blocks or for the orginial T-Maxx.

Fantom Racing FR18 - $150
Peak Performance Diablo .18 - $135
Sirio TX-18 - $190

Out of these choices I would suggest trying the Fantom.

the wasp .18 is a drop in for the 2.5 maxx. the 2.5mm is a slide carb, the .15 maxx was a rotary carb. the wasp .18 is a slide carb. so the article is wrong, the wasp .18 is a direct drop in for the 2.5 maxx. all u might have to do is turn the carb so u can hook up the throttle linkage. i had the old .15 maxx but with a lot of hop-ups. i put the wasp .18 in i had to move the throttle servo, gas tank, make new throttle and break linkages. so its not a drop in for the .15 maxx

later

check out the epic .18, i got one in my maxx and it rocks. i dont know if its better than the sirio mill but its a close race between the two, and its only 140ish. be prepared to bombproof the tranny tho, it will eat the plastic gears up.

I saw that "DROP IN GUIDE", and orderd the Orion Wasp .21

I'll let you know how it goes, Supposed to have 2.38 Hp..

I'll have it installed by Friday, and will have it tuned and leaned in a week. I will race it the following Saturday.I'll
Let you know if your interested