best nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm654b

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey guys i have revo 5309 i am looking to put a big block motor in it i am looking at the os.21tm or the picco .26 any suggesting you guys have would be helpful thanks.

Had a picco .26 in my Revo, n it hauled a**!! Had to get the ofna engine mount for it tho.

Last edited:
Same here. Had no issues getting it tuned after break-in and keeping it tuned even in 100º F+ weather.

If you want a nice power increase with little to no mods go for the 21tm
Running a 26 max will require an ofna mount and to get the full potential out of the engine you will need a bb pipe to suit

Picco .26 JL RedDot is the way to go for a revo. . .gobs of power and with the right gearing and proper tune it will, and i mean WILL pull the front wheels when you hit 2nd gear, it is quite entertaining to watch. Simple to tune like hamz said and holds a tune very very well.

If I were doing another revo I would go for the 21tm, still has more power than a 3.3 and is less brutal on your driveline.
I dont know bout you but I would rather be running run truck than rebuilding the trans, my trans lasted 10 tanks with the picco where as my maxx with the 21tm has 20+ tanks on it and is still good .

I am loving the picco with racers mount and exhaust adaptor and the ths bb exhaust setup. Tons of power and everything just fit real nice with minor customizing.

picco with racers mount and exhaust adaptor .

FYI - I'm the racer mentioned :)

@Bkyd Basher, what did you have to modify? Was something off on one of my parts? If so,I'd like to know so I can improve the part. I haven't received any feedback on any of the Picco mounts I've made.

Last edited by a moderator:
LRP .28 Buy a traxxas BB kit and then cut your chassis to move your tranny back and then drill some holes for it and then drop it in! haha just kidding its way more work than that I had about 40 hours put into just making the engine fit but it was definitely worth it. First place everytime if you don't crash!

Oh man! Now you got me wanting to drop my lrp in my tmaxx. It tosses my RC8T around like a rag-doll.

I'm gonna go against the grain & say stick with a good .21, .28 has too much torque & will destroy everything in the driveline regularly.
I run a picco .28 team turbo on 30% & can't keep the driveline together - Losi8 clutch with hard alloy shoes, full robinson racing gear set, RR slipper, custom made 8740 steel main shaft in the trans, steel centre shafts, steel driveshafts, brushless Erevo diffs with hot racing alloy cups - I still break things all the time.
1st gear 1 way bearing doesn't last long, 2nd gear bearing not much longer, drive pins snap all the time & I chew up RR slippers at an annoying rate, diffs last a while but end up with destroyed bearings or stripped centre gears or pinions.
The revo driveline just isn't designed for the torque of a .28 & there is nothing you can do to make it last.

It is entertaining tho, stupid fast & wheelstands until you run out of room & have to back off & let the front come down to steer.

Last edited:
What about the picco .26 will it do the same thing to the drive train as the .28

A well-tuned Picco .26 Maxx can tear up stock driveline parts just as well as the LRP. The main difference is that the Picco can use a rear exhaust so you don't have to cut the shell to use an ugly BB side exhaust.

the only problem I've had with my .28 in my revo was I broke one drive shaft and I boiled out a couple clutch bell bearings because I didn't have it shimmed enough. I'm running a forward only tranny with robinson racing gears and a M2C 3 shoe alloy clutch. I race everyweek and I rarely have any problems. sometimes it takes a little bit to get it going when its cold but once its warmed up its a beast. We are racing tomorrow ill make a video and post it. I'm still running the pipe that came with the 3.3. I bought a jp-3 but I don't have any room to mount it unless someone knows of a rear manifold that would curve back enough so its not sitting over the top of my a arms.

I've been running the picco .26 max on my tmaxx for almost 2 years it seems. Its already been upgraded all around to withstand the torque. Next move will be a bb chassis and lrp.28.

Well I belive the Picco .28 is the best MT engine on the market, but I have a LRP.28 in mine and it throws the truck around like it was a ragdoll, Top end is impressive and wheelies on demand with 18/36 gearing.

I am also running an ERCM endbleed.

But the new Ofna force JL.28 max for the revo/tmaxx OFN52205
It's the new replacement for the picco .26 max and reddot... They have been discontinued..

I've never heard of the ofna JL28 sounds intresting. I have the trinity clone pipe from CHchchina its actually pretty nice the manifold curves pretty wide to for the guy wanting a manifold to possibly allow the jp3 to be mounted at the rear.

A cheap alternative is the xtm monster truck exhaust thats a true bb pipe and bolts straight on to the revo.

But if you dont mind china the trinity clone is a mere $25 shipped and when you remove the stinger it sounds very meaty only I can never keep my picco running to see it go due to tuning issues namly the conflicting factory settings all over the net and a silly tight sleeve.

FYI - I'm the racer mentioned :)

@Bkyd Basher, what did you have to modify? Was something off on one of my parts? If so,I'd like to know so I can improve the part. I haven't received any feedback on any of the Picco mounts I've made.

not much to ur parts themselves, more to the truck. The only thing I did was ground down the nipple a tiny bit to get it to go in the header a lil easier. But the mount works great! Not sure how to do feeback for these transactions? Can any one tell me how?

Last edited by a moderator:
Force is different than Picco. Both engines are distributed by Ofna, but diff manuf.

You got a link to that engine?

Back