Best fuel to use in the 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Whats the best fuel to use in the T-maxx? I know for break in its recommended to run 20%. But what about after the break in cycle is over, Do you go to a higher % Fuel. I have heard of people using the 33% in the T-Maxx before. Also should you step up to a higher fuel if you do simple things like an exhaust upgrade? Sorry I'm a Newbie

I use ODonnel's 20% in all of my engines, Byron's is also recommended. Pick a fuel brand and stick with it though, changing fuels can be bad for engines.

when i had my revo i ran 20% byrons. on 20% your engine will last longer and if tuned right you will have good power. if you up the nitro% you have to install a different shim under the head to lower the compression. if you want a good pipe you can't go wrong with a ths they sound great and perform awesome. what engine do you have?

I'm new to nitro, I just ordered my First truck a T-maxx 3.3 last night from Tower, I am most likely going to purchase the THS exhaust system and the reverse kit after the truck arrives.

I'm new to nitro, I just ordered my First truck a T-maxx 3.3 last night from Tower, I am most likely going to purchase the THS exhaust system and the reverse kit after the truck arrives.

the 3.3 tmaxx has reverse installed already

This is what it says on Tower Hobbies. I'm almost positive they do not come with reverse, I think some of the older 2.5's did.

"Transmission: Revo-Spec forward only two speed autoshifting
with skid plate, optional reverse kit sold separately"

the 4908 and the 4907 model tmaxxs do not have reverse installed it can be added later but as most here would probably agree that it is a bad idea. And if you learn to drive well enough you wont need it. The truck will go oveer most obstacles! I used to run 20% traxxas fuel but it's expensive around here (Dallas metroplex) So i now run odonnells 20%. I also feel odonnells has a little better lube props although I dont know the exact oil percentage.

it causes too many weak points in the tranny, the additional gears specifically. also you will need a third servo to shift the tranny into reverse. over all it also addsa considerable weight to the truck. I have the 4908 with optional reverse and thought I would want it when i bought it. After a few months of bashing iknew i wouldnt need it. ;)

I would look for Byron fuels 20% gen 2. I just switched to it and it's great. Way better than O'donnell, forget traxxas fuel all together. Switching fuels won't hurt a thing. Switching nitro content requires tuning, but that's it.

Is the Traxxas Top fuel no good? Also if I'm not ever planning on taking the T-maxx to the track is reverse really that bad of an idea. Honestly, I would like to be able to have reverse, but I do not want to me constantly breaking parts.

20% for sure. brand I'm not sure i allways used traxxas top fuel but the problem with that is its really oily.

i run 20% traxxas fuel in all my traxxas tmaxx's (2) 2.5 and (2) 3.3 and in my jato 2.5 and my smaxx

in my 3.3 jato i run 33%
i have never had a problem
i run byron's 20% in everything else

I used to run Blue Thunder 20% in my Tmaxx .15 and the 2.5. It ran beautifully. I ended up tuning engines more than I drove, and started noticing that some of them ran faster than mine.
Well, the only difference was the fuel. I tried a couple of tanks of Traxxas Top Fuel, and got a noticeable pick up in performance.
Traxxas engines love Traxxas fuel.

Back