best big block for my revo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm interested in buying a big block for my revo 2.5. Does anyone have a suggestion on which one to buy?

I was looking at an Axial .28, 8 port. Is this a good engine and Is this possible with a big block conversion kit? will I need anything else to make it work?:D

IMHO a .28 is too much for a 2.5 revo, heck its a little much for a 3.3, the best all around engine for any nitro revo is a picco .26 maxx or JL RedDot, its a direct drop in with an ofna engine mount and your done

Will the Picco .26 max perform ok with the stock exhaust?

I have the OFNA .21maxx on my revo and it is more then enough i use it at the track and i can clear a nice set of doubles with the .21 where i could not get enough low end punch with the 3.3---

i wouldnt drop a .28 in there unless you drop some robinson gears in that tranny you will eventually chew them up just my thoughts!

How easy is the ofna .21 conversion and will it work with revo exhaust and clutch? Thanks

The Picco .26 Max is a direct drop-in and will work with the stock parts with the exception of needimg a big block motor mount. I would recommend at least changing over to the Resonator pipe from Traxxas.

The Picco .26 Max is a direct drop-in and will work with the stock parts with the exception of needimg a big block motor mount. I would recommend at least changing over to the Resonator pipe from Traxxas.

U said it all, i haven't been able to check for a while, but as he said, all you need is the mount and you are done, you may have to fab up a new pipe mount but thats about it, i just used an old metal coat hanger

U said it all, i haven't been able to check for a while, but as he said, all you need is the mount and you are done, you may have to fab up a new pipe mount but thats about it, i just used an old metal coat hanger

where can I get a picco .26 max or red dot for a good price?

towerhobbies has them. Wait for the Christmas discounts or join their Super Saver club. It's well worth it.
You need to put a better exhaust and clutch on it. The stockers suck.

thanks guys, I think I will be getting a .26 MAX. It sounds like the best overall deal.

THANKS A LOT!

Just remember too loosen the slipper clutch, or stock up on tranny gears!

Another thing to look into is the Robinson Racing transmission gears if run the .26 Maxx.

Why add a ton of rotating weight, that will just bring the power to the wheels back down. Steel gears are heavy. It took me a few times, but if you loosen the slipper enough the stock tranny gears will hold. I had the O.S. 21tm and the center diff mod with 300K fluid. After finally getting the slipper set so the tranny would hold up, the truck would still pull the front end up sometimes, I did not want it too though.
Just my opinion though, I'm a racer at heart. I hate adding weight if I don't need it. For a basher the steel gears may be the way to go. I never tried them. 100 bucks for the complete gearset is ridiculous IMO.

After toasting 2 sets of stock gears after adjusting the slipper, I went to the Robinson Racing gears. I'm not a racer, just a basher that has a heavy throttle finger......

Why add a ton of rotating weight, that will just bring the power to the wheels back down. Steel gears are heavy. It took me a few times, but if you loosen the slipper enough the stock tranny gears will hold. I had the O.S. 21tm and the center diff mod with 300K fluid. After finally getting the slipper set so the tranny would hold up, the truck would still pull the front end up sometimes, I did not want it too though.
Just my opinion though, I'm a racer at heart. I hate adding weight if I don't need it. For a basher the steel gears may be the way to go. I never tried them. 100 bucks for the complete gearset is ridiculous IMO.

"Great minds think alike"

Another thing to look into is the Robinson Racing transmission gears if run the .26 Maxx.
I have a .26 maxx on my revo with the same tranny gears that were in it from the factory, one 3.3 and 2 picco's later not one problem with my gears, its all in the adjustments. And i do not run my revo anywhere near easily i run it HARD!!!!
jumps, wot passes, burnouts, wheelies, ect and i have not once broken a gear
*knock, knock* knock on wood

The RB TM523 is also an optain. It comes with a billet motor mount and a tuned pipe. I installed one in my revo with a close ratio trans. It runs great, lots of power, consistent tune and it sounds like a weedwacker on steriods. Plan on purchasing the .26 Picco as well, I've heard such good things about them, I already have the THS pipe from the stock 3.3 to use on it.

Back