Best All around T-maxx engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mortifyd_Penguin

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Any opinions on a good all around engine for an Unmodifyed T-maxx chassis?
I looked at another post about engine upgrades but it got into a big pissing contest on how they named the different engine sizes. I was thinking of the O.S. .18 but i would like some input.

even the stock motor is a bit much for the stock tmaxx chassis. the vote around here is normaly the o.s. 18 but you will need a few hopups to hold the power...

I have the Picco Max (.27 I think) and I like it a lot. Easy to install as well.

Revo rancher, i think you mean the .26 "mid block" right? It is a direct drop in, and supposedly has tons of power... Almost anything you put in there that has more power will blow your diffs or whatnot... need to learn how to shim the diffs, if you havent already...

Yeah, RC10, you might be right. That's why I put .27, I think. Haven't looked at the motor in awhile.

My diffs are stock but I rebuilt them when I installed them intot he S-Maxx I built my T-Maxx from. Shimms will help for ahile, but once they blow I will go to metal diffs and guts.

my freind has two tmaxxs and runs the fantom 18 in both of them..it does really good

Call me a newbe but Shim the diff???

Mortifyd_Penguin said:
Call me a newbe but Shim the diff???

Yeah... You put shims (thin washers) between the pinion gear and the bearing to take out play, making the gears last longer.

ok well i have built diffs in actual cars but i didn't realize that you could do the same one the tmaxx diff. i'll try that. so do you just go by feel or do you use a tool like a dial indicator to get an exact amount of backlash. i think as long as i get it setup with no slack but not binding i should be ok right???

Yep, thats the best i could have described it... You have to just go by feel... i havent seen a dial indiactor for rc's yet...

I'll have to shim the diff for sure, when i put the spool in the rear i didn't notice some slack in the gear mesh.

anybody have anything to say about the .23 by sirro or is it picco?

the RB or Sirio .23 would kick ass in the Maxx...

I'm having trouble finding the specs on the sirio .23

HA nevermind just had to find the right web site

the picco .26 engine has some mad power and when i say mad power i mean it. I'm talk about doing back flips on the ground and riding wheelies in to second gear. a maxx with a picco is a truck with balls. one thing you will need harden steel diffs. and some tran gears.

Do you need to shim the diffs if you have steel gears?

Yes, you do need to shim the diffs. By the way, all t-maxx diffs are metal geared.

Which O.S. .18 are you talking about? There is the TM TZ CVR CVRX (and probably more) I'd recommend the CVRX, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP6&P=7.
It should be a direct drop in, except for the header and pipe, you have to change that out or at least modify it a bit.

Other than that, it will keep you cheap and give you a much better mill for your maxx without having to deal with having way too much power.

Just expressing my opinion....The best engine for the T-Maxx is the TRX 2.5 with an aftermarket cooling head.

Mr T