Believe I found the problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvaughn7

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well the last few times out with my buggy I realized that it would die after warming up past 210 or so and I could never get it to restart. I assumed it was losing compression, so tonight I took it apart and believe my suspicion was correct. Take a look for yourself haha. Now the question is where to get it repinched. I have heard good about rayaracing.com and a couple others that I have lost the names of. Who would you recommend on price, quality, and turnaround time?
dd93555f.jpg

i have never done it, but you can do it yourself (i think)

From what I've read, they say that Rayaracing does a good job. He only charges about $20 plus shipping. There's another guy in Detroit that does excellent work too. Here a link to his service. You would need to call and tell him what you need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/sirio-picco...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231f48725c
Don't be trying to do it yourself. I've been told that those sleeve pinchers you can get on Ebay don't work as well as they say.

Ok thanks for the help guys. I have sent ray the money and have the package on the way to him. Hopefully I will have it back by the first of next week, but if not its no biggie. I went with the medium pinch just because I had never had this done to an engine and didnt know how that would compare to a new engine.

What is actuly done when your repinch?

When ever I lost compression I have always just put a new pistion and sleve in my self.

Do you better peformance from a repinched motor vs new pistion and sleve.

The repinch helps delay the inevitable of replacing your motor. At a $23 investment its well worth it. He basically crushes the sleeve a few .0001"-.0005" and gives you back your "pinch".

2revo - I'd have to disagree. I had it done on my Picco .12 for my street car which had no compression. The $23 investment has not only allowed me to burn an additional 1.75 gallons of more fuel but also save some extra cash to get the replacement motor I want instead of what I could afford at the time. A polished turd that burns almost 2 more gallons to me is a great turd!!

Well everything came back in the middle of this past week and what a difference it made. He pinched it down 5 ten thousandths of an inch and compression is nearly that of a brand new engine even with the lighter of the two pinch options. The way he cleans everything up is nice also, it looks brand new.

What is actuly done when your repinch?

When ever I lost compression I have always just put a new pistion and sleve in my self.

Do you better peformance from a repinched motor vs new pistion and sleve.

Same here, Just change the piston and sleeve.

Jacks and avelciario - Were just doin the math. $23 vs $60 to $80 for a new p&s. Seems you could take the extra $37-$57 and invest in another upgrade IMO.

wvaughn- hope it works out and keep us posted!!

Phins Fan- Yes I know you are just trying cost cutting, I love that too, But here in my location nobody doing it, and its hard and more money if I send it from Dubai to US.

Well I broke everything in last according to Ray's suggested method and except for a low idle speed, which I didn't have a screwdriver to fix, everything went smoothly. This was the first heat cycle break in I had done and it felt weird, but from what I have heard it works great. After my fifth round of breakin I took it to the backyard track and ran the rest of the tank out and it ran great with no sputtering or flameouts. If this continues I will send every bad engine I ever have to Ray, highly recommend his work.

To those of you not understanding my thinking on repinching it people such as Phins Fan and are dead on. I havent looked a lot, but the couple piston/sleeve sets I found were about $80. This is only an OFNA Force 26 engine which I can buy for about $100 brand new on eBay, so before I went that route I would have bought a new engine. To me personally the $23 was a no brainer even if I only get another gallon and a half or two gallons, but I believe with proper care it will last even more.