beginners tips

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex banyard

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hi i am new to rc nitro cars and need some tips if u can help pleas do

Read the sticky threads at the top for starters, there is quite a lot of useful information in those threads.

Always put you piston at BDC(bottom dead center) so the sleeve doesn't cool around the piston pinching g it and shortening the life of your engine!

Don't cut corners or take shortcuts, it won't get you far and usually costs more money in the long run(learned the hard way)

A temp gun is a must have, if you don't pay attention to the temps of your engine your likely going to kill it sooner then later! (Learned hard way as well)

Always use locktite on your screws and grub screws! I never did on my first truck and did quite a bit of damage along with a lot of down time due to waiting on parts!

Easiest way to prime your engine is to blow into your exhaust or take the back pressure line off the exausht that goes to your fuel tank, then blow until you see gas reach your carb the stop!

Preheating your motor will prolong its life as its easier on it to start, especially if your running in cold weather! I use a heat gun and preheat my motor to 180-200° before every run!

Always check everything before and after a run(screws electronics, brakes, steering, batteries!!)

I would recommend starting with a name brand like traxxas, ofna, duratrax, hpi, ext and avoid HSP, exceed, red cat. They are more of toy grade lever RCS and are far behind in durability!
I started with red cat and threw 300+ into it before I decided it was time to get a name brand! You can find nice used name brand vehicles that are err(ready to run) for about the price of a new lower grade brand.

You should check out the tuning flow chart, that will be great help when tuning as well!

And one more big thing, this forum is full of extremely knowledgeable folks that are very helpful! :)

Hope this all helps and happy holidays to you and your family!!