Beginner's Nitro On-Road Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runt

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am looking at getting into Nitro On-Road R/C. Right now I have an E-Maxx but want to be able to race a friend on-road (well, sorta race). I was looking at the Associated Nitro Qualifier w/Camaro Body at Tower Hobbies. If someone can give me some other ideas on a fairly cheap car to start with I am open to ideas. I suppose I could swing a TC3 kit (please don't recommend a RTR), but I will end up getting the kit first and the engine/other needed things later no matter what kit I choose.

With any RC the general rule is that you get what you pay for.

Most of the guys here are going to steer you towards the NTC3 made by Associated. Some will say Mugen or Serpent or even HPI. Personally what I think you should do is to spend some time at a local hobby shop and talk to some of the people there about what cars they run on road. Talk to the people at the LHS and see what parts they stock for which cars. It would suck that you break something and have to wait a long time for shipping of a replacment part.

Then after all that you have to look at price. Are you just going to "play" with the car or do you think you might get a little serious at some point. If you tight on $$ it would prolly be a good idea to get one of the better cars out there for a little more $$ now so that when you get serious or want to race for real you dont have to spend too much in hop-ups.

but thats just my .02 cents

:stupid: If ur tight on $$, but can swing the NTC3 then go with that one. I'm sure ur local LHS will have parts for since it's usually a popular car. Double check to make sure.

Dont disregard the RTR version of the tc3, you wont have to build a kit, you would already have a radio, you can drive it now and hop it up as you can afford it! my tc3(rtr) is just 2 weeks old, the mill was not even broken in yet, I switched the pipe to a dynamite tuned pipe,installed the 2speed , and just today I switched the motor to a brand new OS15cv-r, it started to rain so I havnt fired it yet, but I know one thing for sure, this car will handle extremely well and be sick fast! how do I know? its a tc3!!!

Last edited:
very well put nitromaniac...although for everything you put on the car in such a short amount of time you could have sprang the extra cash up front for the kit.
but to each his own.

Yeah they have a lot of potential. Check out this one

657new_engine2-med.JPG

Edit...Ill put it up later.

There are no R/C tracks around here, so I won't be racing anyone but one friend. I will mostly be "playing" with it (R/C is very relaxing to me). As for my LHS having Associated parts, not a chance. A friend broke his B3 and found out that they do not stock a single Team Associated part. They stock mostly Kyosho and Taymia parts, with some T/E-Maxx parts thrown in for good measure.

runt - the best advice anyone can give - has already been given. Go to your LHS and see what they stock. once you know, then base your decision on which is the best car readily available to you there. If none of them are a good choice, then make sure someone like towerhobbies has parts for it. If you do not plan to race, and like to build kits, then i need to know how much money you want to spend? Otherwise, you mentioned that your LHS stocks Kyosho - check out the V series kyosho cars. The V1S is a great entry level touring car. If you can afford the tab, grab the V1R instead - it will be much more durable as well as have alot of the good hopups in the kit. Both of these cars are very well made, and you will be happy with them. As for engines - if you are looking for fun, little problems if any, and are not racing - go with the OS brand. They are dead-on reliable. If you can afford the tab, go with the .15CV-RX - otherwise, grab the .15CV-X. Both are great mills with plenty of power. Finally - for a radio, if no racing is in your future, I would recommend the JR XS2. It is an inexpensive radio, yet has all the good features that the higher level radio systems have. Hope this helps and welcome to RCNT

My LHS stocks very few cars. And they are so expensive that I won't go there to buy one (parts for my E-Maxx there are twice what tower charges, after shipping). Right now, I am guessing that I can spend a max of $260.00 on a kit (the price of the TC3 kit at towerhobbies). As for the radio, I was thinking of the Hitec Lynx 3D or the Airtronics MX3 so I can also use it for my E-Maxx.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
runt - the best advice anyone can give - has already been given. Go to your LHS and see what they stock. once you know, then base your decision on which is the best car readily available to you there. If none of them are a good choice, then make sure someone like towerhobbies has parts for it. If you do not plan to race, and like to build kits, then i need to know how much money you want to spend? Otherwise, you mentioned that your LHS stocks Kyosho - check out the V series kyosho cars. The V1S is a great entry level touring car. If you can afford the tab, grab the V1R instead - it will be much more durable as well as have alot of the good hopups in the kit. Both of these cars are very well made, and you will be happy with them. As for engines - if you are looking for fun, little problems if any, and are not racing - go with the OS brand. They are dead-on reliable. If you can afford the tab, go with the .15CV-RX - otherwise, grab the .15CV-X. Both are great mills with plenty of power. Finally - for a radio, if no racing is in your future, I would recommend the JR XS2. It is an inexpensive radio, yet has all the good features that the higher level radio systems have. Hope this helps and welcome to RCNT

That would work. What kind of engine are you thinking about getting? You could get a o.s. .12 cv-r for like $150 which would make you very competitive if you ever wanted to race...and the engine is legal for racing...

I was thinking of getting a DuraTrax TORQ .12 or maybe a DuraTrax Velocity .15. I don't plan on ever racing as there is no track in the area. If I did get a O.S. .12 CV-R I'd prolly get the .12 CV-RX (S) so I had a pull start and didn't have to cut the crankshaft down.

Well, I do believe that I will be getting a Nitro TC3 kit (just read the directions). My first R/C vehicle was an E-Maxx and while I enjoy it, I really want to build my next one (and even I can follow the directions for the NTC3).

Originally posted by kwong2001
You could get a o.s. .12 cv-r for like $150 which would make you very competitive if you ever wanted to race.

Isnt the O.S. Tr a better choice for that price? I've heard that thing is soo fast!

Originally posted by SilentHunterKellen

Isnt the O.S. Tr a better choice for that price? I've heard that thing is soo fast!

I don't follow engines all that much..i just know my cv-r is a good engine...but the best is still my novarossi S3

I doubt I will get an O.S. engine right now, due to my lack of funds.

runt - good call on the NTC3. DO NOT< DO NOT < DO NOT Buy the duratrax engines. they are complete junk. If u must buy a cheap engine - get the OS .15CV-X, you can get it at tower for 85.00 - and it will give u plenty of power, and no hassles.

the hitec lynx 3d FM radio is a great radio, its the one i use, however - it isnt cheap. Keep in mind that after you buy batteries, and servos, that radio will set u back about 270.00

I just put a os15cv-rx in my tc3, it runs great! this is a great engine for this car, I can drift this car in to a large circle at wot, the traction,handling and speed are all there and its become my favorite car to drive, you definetly want this mill in your car! Nitro adict says this mill is selling at tower for 85$ not true! its $139 reduced from $159 still an awsome mill for that price! check it out!

my bad nitro adict! I think you were talking about the cv-x mill!
mine is the 15cv-rx geeeez all these damn numbers and letters its easy to mistake them! either way! it runs like a mother@/;^&%!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
i dont think a cv-x costs that much...you might be thinking of the cv-R. the regular cv's are around like 90-100.

Back