Beginner - I don't even know what I have, help please!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBeezly27

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Instead of typing and attaching everything again here is a link to the original post.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/rc-virgin.113774/

In addition to that I can't get the engine to start. I bought some 20% fuel, got the plug igniter, glow plug seems good(not sure how bright a good one is), idle set on the carb is open about 1mm. Not sure where the needle adjustments should be the main is set flush with the housing haven't messed with the other two. That's all I can think of. It seems like it should run but it won't.

Someone please help, I don't want to invest anymore in this car if it doesn't run.

Before I begin credit for Carb info and model ID in regards to your RC goes to Craig911 here on RCNT from another post.

Now it looks like without a doubt that your model is the Victory Hawk VH-L16.
The engine model should be GS05R "older model block"
Quoted from Craig911 regarding the same engine.
"if its a slide carb i would try
high speed needle 3/3.5 turns from fully closed
low speed needle ether 2/2.5 turns from fully closed or flush with its housing
1mm idle gap ( adjust as necessary )

if its a rotary carb try
high speed needle 3/3.5 turns from fully closed or flush with housing
low speed needle flush with the housing or 1/1.5 turns out from flush
1mm idle gap ( adjust as necessary )"

My advice on getting them back to factory settings would be to be sure the carb is clean first off.
Then drive Both the LSN and the HSN all the way down and back them out the above suggested amount as your bare factory setting and adjust from there.
If you get mixed up on how far out you are on a needle or if you feel your setup isn't right you should always be able to go back to the factory settings as a solid starting point.
Be careful while tightening the LSN needle. Once it gets a little tougher to drive in then thats the point you start backing out or it can either cause damage or you could drop the LSN needle into the carb "on rotary carbs".
Good luck and hopefully this helps.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 1.41.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 1.41.55 AM.png
N

Hi
Have you managed to get the car started yet?
With the car off the ground, try and turn the motor using the fly wheel. When it hist TDC (Top Dead Center) it should not turn over so easily. Let me know if it turns easily or not. This would be a good indication if you need to replace your piston and sleeve.

Back