Beginner electric ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacknifejuv

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi there I've been into nitro for a few years now . And have never owned an electric . I haven't got a blue about them been looking at the Hpi blitz . Mini trophy and brama . But Tbh i haven't got a clue wat to look for or what batteries they run on . Any help or info would be much appreciated . I have about 200 english pounds so not too much to spend .

Hi there I've been into nitro for a few years now . And have never owned an electric . I haven't got a blue about them been looking at the Hpi blitz . Mini trophy and brama . But Tbh i haven't got a clue wat to look for or what batteries they run on . Any help or info would be much appreciated . I have about 200 english pounds so not too much to spend .

I dont know a whole lot about these myself, but have been eyeing up this one for awhile...the nitro version is wicked fast. It would come out to 191 pounds for you.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HPI10553

Yer that looks petty good wanna stick with a well known brand for my 1st electric till i get to no em . But Tbh dont know what I'm looking at lol .

Yer that looks petty good wanna stick with a well known brand for my 1st electric till i get to no em . But Tbh dont know what I'm looking at lol .

You and me both!! The Flux technology in the Firestorm is the same technology used in the Savage Flux...I think. For the money, seeing as you dont wanna spend more than 200 pounds, this looks like a good choice. A guy I know at work has a nitro Firestorm, and he loves it, says it goes like stink and is super tough (as is all of HPI stuff, IMO). I would assume that the flux version would be equally as tough and would go like mad just the same.

Not sure, but I am thinking that this would be its direct competition.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=TRA3707

Probably close to the same, and it's built on the XXX platform, which is tried and true, and has alot of aftermarket support.

Probably close to the same, and it's built on the XXX platform, which is tried and true, and has alot of aftermarket support.

I would think that any of these 3 would be a great choice, and they are all around the same price. Compared to the HPI Blitz, how do these 3 stand up as far as speed, terrain, duarability...seeing as Jacknife was asking about the Blitz to begin with.

All depends on what he wants to do with it. The stadium trucks will be faster, as they are all brushless, the Speed-T and Firestorm Flux are designed to go fast. The Blitz is a short course racing truck. Not designed to have a high top end, because most short course tracks don't have a straight longer than fifty feet or so. For bashing, the stadium trucks will have more suspension travel, and the mass is more centralized. They will fly smoother without the wide body, which is prone to "parachuting".

Cheers for the input i thought the blitz would be good for a bit of bashing but I'm not going to be racing so yer would that firestorm and losi suit the bill . I really haven't got a clue lol i no my lhs has the firestorm will see what else they have .

Traxxas Rustler VXL is a great Stadium Truck also and has a ton of after market parts and they have models for the "newbies" and novice drivers

I have been beatin on a slash for alittle while now and it has amazed me with the beating it has taken and knock on would not one replacement part from the abuse.. Mine does have the castle creations 5700 in it with the sidewinder esc. so it's not stock but wow.. a new lipo battery and this thing is nuts... me and the boy have done some stupid things with it to see just how durable it is and this thing has held up better then the maxx's on head on colisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just thought I would put my input in..... although The old lady has a brushed rusty and I have been able to beat on that alittle bit so far the only broken body part is that liitle bumber thing in the front..( I have bad luck with skids I have snapped so many of them things on all the rc's that have them,)....... the bandit isn't to bad bud the tires are so small on it it doesn't go over that rough of terrain the way it is setup out of the box imo.... so to recap you have :
The Slash 2wd/or4wd brushless
HPI Blitz
Hpi Firestorm flux
Losi ten-t
traxxas rustler vxl
All Good trucks imo but the blitz doesn't tickle my fancy as much i think...thats just me..... the slash is a great truck and alot of options....as with all traxxas trucks though...... I hear losi is real good but my micros have given me issues and they only run indoors.. I wont even coment on hpi though cuz I have only tried the rs4 3evo road car not to impressed with overal the only thing that surprised me was the speed! hope any of this helps I didnt attatch sites but I think the slash might cost alittle more.... not positive..... make sure you get brushless though definetly!!!!!

I just got into electric, picked up an older emaxx 3906 without batteries and remote for $120, Had a tq3 remote here and crystals, and then I bought a pair of 5000mah nimh's...

Changed the spur gear on it as well.

Fun toy! much much differnt then my tmaxx's

This is what i might get bit over 200 but sounds good . www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Cars_/...1538/Traxxas_Rustler_w/XL-5/product_info.html would like to stick with Traxxas as my lhs gets next day delivery . Its not the brushed version but does give me the option to upgrade wen i get used to it . Cheers for the info mtaylor appreciated as always will let you no what i end up with. . . Any thoughts on the above link tho ?

yeah the rusty is pretty durable I can't wait to convert mine into brushless... but it is a bunch of fun...... the good thing about traxxas is the power up program so it cost alittle less to convert if you trade in your old motor and esc.. good durable rig I like the rust better then the bandit.. cause it comes with alittle bigger tires so it has alittle better ground clearense...... I think you would like it...... and yeah the emaxx is pretty fun too but I'm betting you want 2wd outa your electric am i right????? I think honestly the top 3 electric I like so far is the rusty-emaxx- and the slash...... the slash and rusty are 2wd a lot different to play with!!!! You gotta learn how to axually drive with the 2wd a big dif from 4wd thats for sure!!!!!!!

Yeah my t maxx was 2wd for a while and couldn't handle that . So yea will take i little getting used to especially wen i upgrade to brushless i quite like the looks of that rustler as well . Just need to figure out what everything means and does . Only just realised what an ESC is lol . Dont know what it does tho . Lmao :)

---------- Post added at 6:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:56 PM ----------

How quick is your brushed rustler ?

Just a suggestion. If you have the money for that right now, save up the rest for a Rustler VXL. You won't regret it. Either that, or buy the brushed, and pick up the Castle Sidewinder SV2 combo system. The SV2/4600kv combo runs about $100 in the states. Either way, brushless is way better than brushed any day.

Alien is right the brushless vxl rustler is faster. That and I think the brushless motor is stronger than the brushed motor. The cool thing about the brushless version can be set for half power and stuff like that. It says the brushed version does like 30mph but I think it would be lucky to hit 20. To honest. The emaxx I think might hit 30.

Not sure about the VXL system, but you can get an adapter to plug in to you pc or use a field card with the Castle systems, so you can adjust alot of settings.

Also, the benefit to brushless, zero maintenance. Brushed motors you have to clean and watch the brushes, and stock brushed motors sometimes don't last more than ten minutes out of the box..

Just had a look and can get the brushless version for an extra 50 quid so i might as well do that i dont mind waitin an extra week to get something better . I've still got my maxx to bash untill then. Will ring up and put a deposit down tomoro :) :) :) :) . Cheers guys

Back