Beginner buying a savage is that a good idea?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RaCinJason399

Hey guys I got some questions.. A family friend of mine wants to buy a savage and hes 13.. it would be his first rc... Do you guys that have them think there for a beginner??? Could ya tell me what you guys think id apreciate it because I dont want to havto be fixing it all the time.. and for parts what usually breaks? he wants to buy the one with the .25 motor in it.. so if ya could let me know..

Thanks guys...

Jason

Well my first R/C was a electric rustler. I might just start them off with a rustler or E-maxx or something then nitro.

well i hot my frist nitro car when i was 13, if your kid has money to dish out if sumthing happans, then yea go for it, parts dont really break at but they are not tooo hard to replace yea go for it, i would not go with the .25 go with the .21 becuz it is cheaper to buy if u know where to get them, for me i bought mine off of ebay-xmas-

I'm a true believer that age should only be used a general rule. Its all about the maturity level of the person/kid. Nitro rides are FAST. Even the slow ones can easily get out control fast if the person with the radio doesn't know how to control it. If you think your friend can handle it then by all means suggest it. Personally I say find whatever is the cheapest and has tons of support from a LHS. Because I'm sure parts will break and its a major pain to have to wait for parts...especially when your still new and excited.

i was 11 when i got my T-maxx, it sucks when u aint got anymore to do anything with it but it was fun. until it broke then it goes in the closet for a while.

bryan

Well it is a good start... I know the kid wants the BEST :hehe: ... a guy bought his 8 year old a Kyosho GT-4... the father and son could not understand the concept that you have to TUNE these rides... but yet the kid still wanted it.. after watching us mess around in the parking lot they are hook.. I told him these are not TOYS!!! But a 13 yr old.. what is that highschool already??? yeah the 25 is good for him... just that the only way for him to learn is to break it and $$$$ or a high school job should get him there..

i think 13 is ok to start a with nitro ....and especially the savage25 rtr have a rotostart so therell be no problem in pullung u just have to check the back plates cuz they had this problem before but i think its solved now...he 'll like it

I would usually recommend starting with electric first to get used to the sport of RC. That way, you can concentrate on driving instead of tuning. Not that tuning is that bad, it is just another variable that an RC newbie may have trouble with.

Anyway, I can understand wanting to jump right into the Savage .25 - it's a wonderful truck. I don't see a 13 year-old having too much problem with this if he's responsible and mechanically inclined. Afterall, he may have more on the ball than some adults.

i am 13 and i have a savage .21 I've had it since august this year and it hasnt been that hard i get an allowance 10 bucks a week but that enough to get fuel and some parts if they brake which they prolly wont cause its a great truck

Hum....my first real r/c was a traxxas hawk 2 truck i think, i was 16
and I don't think the savage is for a beginner.

Both of my boys started out with a traxxas electric truck for their 6th birthdays. My youngest son is 11 and does just fine with his savage 25 however I wouldn't recommend it as a first time vehicle.

in my hs he is also like 13 and he owns a savage 21

man my first car was a Kyosho sandmaster MK2. i had to pay for half of it cuz my parents were like "WTF you want a $300 remote control car??" but i got it in 4th grade and i didn't break too many things and i learned a lot. But really i got more enjoyment out of that car then any other toys i have gotten. but it depends on the person. some people have more mechanical common sense than others. i have seen lots of kids get one just cuz they have a ton of cash and see one of mine and are liek WHAO i want one but its total crap in 6 months cuz they don't fix and maintain it

Back