Been away from RC for 6+ years

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegigabyte

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I have all my RC vehicles up for sale and after taking all the pics my old T-Maxx was looking pretty good. I always kept everything clean and about 6 years ago I put everything up and away. Decided to sell everything since I havent touched them since.I decided to take the T-Maxx off the market. Since it has 2 speed, reverse and a full roll cage it was the nicest one that had the most features. I have a couple Losi GTX's, HPI, Ofna but the T-Maxx seemed to be the best one. I think I only ran it for a few months before I got the Ofna Monster Pirate so its almost in mint condition.

The other day I got everything charged up, put in the old fuel I had in the shed and once the lines were primed it started right up. I couldnt believe it. I figured the fuel was to old but nope, still works great. No tuning done, but I did adjust the linkage for the brake and put all new fluid on the shocks. Ran it yesterday for about 5 tanks and only turned the mixture screw 1/8 in and fiddled with the 2 speed adjustment and thats it. I had a blast rock crawling it, but wish it had lockers ( are there any type of lockers for this one). I'm not into jumps as from years ago I would break every part, so I'm trying not to spend any money. That was one big reason I gave up the hobby, as I spent more wait time for parts to come, and alot of money.

I just putt around climbing small hills and rocks. I'm having trouble with the brake not being too strong, but I believe it may have been that way originally when I bought it. I was thinking of robbing a stronger servo from the ofna to swap out for the brake servo, thinking maybe it has more strength to push the brake lever, I'm also waiting on a new brake disc pad to see if that would help ( already waiting on parts, but at least I can still drive it :) )

I have the first model that came out, not sure if it was on 2002. Still looks brand new. One trick I do is always squirt down with rubbing alcohol, blow dry and coat with WD40. This way it keeps it clean and looks new.

So my truck is mostly stock, I did have the engine swapped out to a OS .15, got rid of the electric start, stronger steering servo, fail safe and the full roll cage. Roll cage is nice but adds alot of weight, had to use 50w shock oil to help with body roll. Just painted my rims, the chrome magically disappeared. Noticed the inside rubber has cracks, but the outside looks fine. Took the chrome off the front bumpers as it was scratched away anyways. Hopefully I wont get crazy and buy all the cool parts now made for this truck. Been looking at those electric rock crawlers with full tube frames.

I did get the monster pirate out on saturday also, my dad drove it. What a pig. That one has 2 speed too but the turning radius sucks, its way to powerful and the loose dirt area we drove at, you could not control it. The slow little T-Maxx was perfect, also didnt break anything.:D

At the hobby store I saw all the new equipment thats available now. Really cool stuff, the radios are a dream come true, and the neat 1/16 trucks with the Li ion batteries. The guy at the counter almost made it seem I was a old relic, telling me to just use my old radios that use crystals if I'm just playing around, no need to upgrade. And they had for sale the very first Rc buggy I had, even in mint condition and the title said vintage:( I'm only 33 and now the things I remember using are now considered vintage. The counter guy was telling me how much everything changed, and he was probably in his 20's so he still could relate to what I had before.

Here are some pics after cleaning it up yesterday.

Dont know it this tool box stand is still available, but it has rollers on top where you can drive the truck on it to tune it, and a drawer underneath it for the gear.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

If you look closely I covered the gas lines with a steel braid tubing, the type for automobile hoses, I just stretched it until it was small enough for the gas lines and cut it to fit, then used heat shrink to finish the ends. Protects the lines from heat, and looks cool.

IMG_0012-1.jpg

IMG_0010-1.jpg

Welcome back brother. Check out ebay in your spare time. On the newer traxxas models, they went to a gray plastic material that is a little stronger than the old black stuff. Bulk heads, shock towers, and a few other parts can be upgraded for very cheap. Most of the suspension parts are still interchangeable from the original maxx. I see your maxx still has reverse. If you find yourself getting more interested in the hobby and wanting some cheap performance, a forward only conversion is the way to go. For about 10 bucks, you get way smoother acceleration and a way tougher tranny. No more clickin' when you first get moving. Hit us up here at rcnt with any questions you may have. When you buy new fuel, look into o'donnels. Stay away from traxxas fuel. It has too much oil content.

Welcome back brother. Check out ebay in your spare time. On the newer traxxas models, they went to a gray plastic material that is a little stronger than the old black stuff. Bulk heads, shock towers, and a few other parts can be upgraded for very cheap. Most of the suspension parts are still interchangeable from the original maxx. I see your maxx still has reverse. If you find yourself getting more interested in the hobby and wanting some cheap performance, a forward only conversion is the way to go. For about 10 bucks, you get way smoother acceleration and a way tougher tranny. No more clickin' when you first get moving. Hit us up here at rcnt with any questions you may have. When you buy new fuel, look into o'donnels. Stay away from traxxas fuel. It has too much oil content.

Yeah the clicking gets annoying, I figured it has another internal clutch. I like the reverse though, that was the main reason I had originally bought the truck, that and the electric start which wasn't too good.
I'm running trinity 30% fuel, and the local hobby store still sells that brand, and traxxas. They had one more brand that was more money but I didnt look at the name. Probably stick with the trinity as I had always used it and never blow a engine yet.

Since I've lost most of my memory on nitro rc, is the 30% good for a .15 engine, all I had here was 30 and 35. I believe the 35 was for the .21 engines I have. I just can't remember if I was running 25% for the .15 before. The 30 and 35 could of been for the .21 but the T-Maxx ran just fine on the old 30% and the temp kept around 220f with slow driving. I believe thats what it was years ago too.

I did notice the new T-maxx used the gray parts and wondered why they went with that color, too bad they didnt keep the black, sure looks nicer.

Trinity's good fuel. If it's worked for you this long, why change now. The foc gets rid of about half of the tranny internals. Once again, though, no reason to change it if ya like it. If your tires come apart on ya, the new 6.3 Maxx tires can be had for about $30 bucks for a set of 4 on rims. They're way nicer than the old chevrons. Though you may want to step down to an 18 tooth pinion to get some low-end back. Just an idea for ya.

how did u get the rims black?

how did u get the rims black?

Tried the krylon plastic paint, have no idea if it will hold up, but $4 was worth the try. Really dont want to invest alot of money yet. Saw some rims and tires at the store and they were very expensive. I did notice my rims do have small cracks in the plastic, not sure if its something to be concerned about. And the tires have cracks in the rubber too, so I may just have to buy everything anyways, but just wanted to make sure everything holds up first for a little while, and to make sure I want to invest money in this, or a rock crawler I've been eyeballing.

i have the same truck and my tires did the same thing rubber cracking plastic cracking and chrome just disappeared i never though of painting them but i just might as far as keeping on using the same tires and rim i would a set of 2 tires and rim are about 40 dollars

Well the paint on the rims help up one session, I also hit the whole truck with alcohol to clean it up and the paint is still there, no chips or nicks either. Truck ran great, I've been to two types of loose dirt places and both times the truck doesn't get good traction. Not sure if its the heavy roll cage or the tread. Got the suspension set up better so it doesn't try to flip over turning as its top heavy. I've been in super dusty and loose dirt, can't wait for the wetter weather where I can get better traction.

Nice looking old T-Maxx! You've definately kept her clean but that roll cage looks HEAVY to me. I have one of the older models too and my rollcage is made of a much smaller diameter rod. Those Chevron tires are not good in loose dirt as you've seen, but they aren't bad in snow should you choose to run in it this winter.

BTW, you can get lockers/spools for the diffs in that truck.

Nice looking old T-Maxx! You've definately kept her clean but that roll cage looks HEAVY to me. I have one of the older models too and my rollcage is made of a much smaller diameter rod. Those Chevron tires are not good in loose dirt as you've seen, but they aren't bad in snow should you choose to run in it this winter.

BTW, you can get lockers/spools for the diffs in that truck.

You have a website address for those lockers

Here's the spool on A-Main

Traxxas Spool

So this disables the diff all together, do you get one or two. I do drive this on concrete a little and love how sharp it turns, if this gets rid of the diff is turning worse.

Back