Battery upgrade for Savage truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRstar02

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a Savage X 4.6 and it is 'stock' nothing done yet. I heard/read somewhere that it makes a difference to change out the standard 4 battery pack for a 5 battery humpback setup? Does that make a big difference? What is different about it? Is it noticeable? Is there any particular brand that fits in there with little to no modification? Thanks for the help!

i have not had good luck with humppacks. they just dont dont seem to last long. my servos in my trucks are good to 7.4 volts. my next buy is going to be a 7.4v lipo for my reciever/servos.

you could always try the recargeable AA that are out now. my guess is they would be just as good as a humppack. wifey would never let me have them to test out, thiough. humppacks charge are supposed to last longer, and they give a steady juice to your electronice i believe

you could always try the recargeable AA that are out now. my guess is they would be just as good as a humppack.

Nope, rechargeable AA batteries have 1.2v and the standard AAs have 1.5v. So if he swapped out to the rechargeable ones, he'd actually be losing power and speed from the servos.

4x1.5v=6v
4x1.2v=4.8v
5x1.2v=6v

So even if I get the humpback it won't make a difference?

yes, more voltage to the servos and reciever

It will make a difference, look at the info schrode gave you above this post!

So even if I get the humpback it won't make a difference?

It will, you'll save a ton of $$ in the long run. It won't take long to spend more on quality AA batteries than you would on a good rx pack.

I run NIMH receiver packs I have had great luck with the Duratrax 1600 mah packs. They seem to last longer life wise than other packs I've used in the past and for 15.00 just about anywhere, they can't be beat.

It will, you'll save a ton of $$ in the long run. It won't take long to spend more on quality AA batteries than you would on a good rx pack.

True I agree there. I just meant voltage wise there is nothing different between 4 regular batteries and the 5 humpback rechargeable.

Back