basecamp kit or pro kit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majin

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
i really want a kit to build and there are so many options its daunting, the scx10 basecamp kit is on sale for 200 bucks, making me really want to get it the price is great for me.
throw in the fusion pro, get a reefs 500 brass cause it looks cool af then a 444 or something else to do the shift, at almost 800 in parts on a 200 platform 1k in the car scary. probly downgrade the reefs lol but i completely fell in love with my sons basecamp, and want one for myself.
but then i got to thinking if i love the basecamp as much as i do, how awesome would the scx10 pro be? its twice the price. oof 400 for the kit is rough on me, considering the other what 500 I'm going to throw into electronics and servo. jumps that kit up to my wife would be super salty if she found out i spent that much on 1 rc

I've read a few posts and watched a lot of videos on them, but if a company was giving me free products to review id always shine on them as well,
id rather get the opinions of real life people who have an opinion on the subject, i have scoured the interwebs but i am still not even a year in the hobby yet and still have so much to learn.
is there a better kit out there that I'm skipping over? are vanquish kits better? some other brand that i haven't considered?

Doubt you could go wrong with any of the SCX line, or the Vanquish. Vanquish is like the top tier stuff. The VS4-10 Phoenix Portal kit is pretty awesome. Comes with an overdrive trans and a dig unit. Which requires 3 servos. But the dig and overdrive servos don't need to be anything crazy.

Doubt you could go wrong with any of the SCX line, or the Vanquish. Vanquish is like the top tier stuff. The VS4-10 Phoenix Portal kit is pretty awesome. Comes with an overdrive trans and a dig unit. Which requires 3 servos. But the dig and overdrive servos don't need to be anything crazy.

Where can you find one though? I’m going down this road too, I’ve looked at vanquish but most of what they show on their site is discontinued or sold out. A main shows the carbon kit in stock. The rtrs are available it seems. I’m not in a rush, likely be next year before I do this. Any thoughts on the associated enduro kit? It’s another one that keeps popping up in my search

Edit: the Hpi venture kit has come up too

Last edited:
Vanquish can get expensive but it is top quality stuff.
I would love a kit myself but I've put myself on a "STOP BUYING YOU IDIOT" restriction. :D

79B06977-F15A-48DA-B23D-4BD38A3CF885.gif

I over looked it because it looked like an rtr in the pic and I didn’t read 🤣

For what it's worth,

Make sure you look at the needed to complete stuff. It lists the servo horns you need along with the servos and such.
View attachment 190548

Thanks! My plan is to build a bronco raptor, whether it be with the boys trx4 bronco or from a kit. But it will be a little bit before it happens.

Thanks! My plan is to build a bronco raptor, whether it be with the boys trx4 bronco or from a kit. But it will be a little bit before it happens.
When I was researching it for Fisher, I put a list together on Amain for if I can ever save up the money to get one. Too many projects in front of this, but I think this would be a pretty awesome build.
Screenshot_20240522_090233.jpg

Oh, and these
Screenshot_20240522_091932.jpg

Last edited:
I've done several kits in the past , with ten scale crawlers , then I went to monster truck stuff , lo ved the tekno mt 410 , I put a tekin power set up in it , waaaaaay to much power , but a blast , I recently got the axial hancho scx 6 tore it completely down and came up with the best crawling experience there is , i.m.o. , that thing is a great drive , I'll never go back to ten scale crawling I don't think

Vanquish can get expensive but it is top quality stuff.
I would love a kit myself but I've put myself on a "STOP BUYING YOU IDIOT" restriction. :D
I need the capability to be able to do one those restrictions.. Dosent work for me ehh

Back