Baja vs Shorty

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudley00

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a 29cc rovan Baja in about a year ago. I sold it because of other commitments but I'm looking at getting back into large scale petrol rc.
I want to get a rovan even thought they are a clone just from a price point but I'm undecided about which one. I had a blast with the standard baja but am wondering about trying a shorty and seeing how it goes.
An input would be much appreicated

I have a converted shorty and am building a standard size as we speak. The Rovan Baja's are actually a very cool rig and run awesome.
Incredible rig for the price. I have modded mine quite a bit with aluminum parts and the Q baja conversion kit with a 30.5 cc engine. I have also installed an starter bearing and use the jump start Troy built starter bit. I'm lazy and hate pulling a rope. The baja I am building will be all aluminum including a-arms in which are not really good if its bashed hard. Mine will strictly be a shelf queen which will only be run on a flat easy surface during break in. I will have a 45cc engine.
I highly recommend the Rovan and I honestly believe they have really stepped up their game. I buy from These guys .
This is without a doubt, my funnest rig to run.

IMG_0268.JPG

I actually prefer the shorty more than the Standard size but I may have been a different story with a bigger engine.
I plan on a port and polish on the 30.5 cc one of these days.

Last edited:
I had the HPI Baja 5B SS kit that I put a scorpion "shorty" chassis on. My need was just to make it easier to carry up/down 3 flights of stairs. It was a lot more responsive to steering though and a bit more prone to wheelies, which was always cool. Didn't require as "long" of a jump to get it to jump well either.
2013-0705-Baja5B-Side-ReceiverTankCarbEngineCB-BodyOn.jpg

Yeah okay. That's really helpful.
I was mainly looking at a shorty as I will never really be racing it just bashing and having good time.
I'd like to be able to pull power wheelies and stuff like that in a a standard one. Would a 45cc do that?