baja rey front differential

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRIFTHUNTERS

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My losi baja rey 1/10 has been having front diff problems, i bought a brand new whole diff and i built the brand new diff but it doesn't sound right when i spin it, it feels rough. So i put the old gears back and it sounded normal until i drove the car, now whenever i turn i hear grinding. I'm going to try to put the new gears back in, Anyone know what could be the issue?

Not familiar with the Baja Rey diffs, but a lot of the diffs out there are very similar. Are there shims in the diffs that you install behind any of the gears? If so, maybe you need to use thinner ones. Sometimes you need to shim the large outer bevel gears to get things to mate up properly. Let me look up the exploded views...

Ok, yeah, that is a typical setup. It has shims behind the bevel gears.
20220524_125519.jpg

You can use thinner shims. You have to measure the hole diameter, outer diameter, and thickness to find different ones. You can also play with how much you tighten the screws that hold the ring gear on. You want them tight, but sometimes you can ever so slightly tighten them too much.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Baja Rey diffs, but a lot of the diffs out there are very similar. Are there shims in the diffs that you install behind any of the gears? If so, maybe you need to use thinner ones, or remove them altogether. Sometimes you need to shim the large outer bevel gears to get things to mate up properly. Let me look up the exploded views...
I put the old shims that were in my diff originally, i will try putting the brand new shims in, and i will try without any.

I wouldn't run without those shims. You risk wearing the housing by the gear spinning against it. The shims prevent that.

Not familiar with the Baja Rey diffs, but a lot of the diffs out there are very similar. Are there shims in the diffs that you install behind any of the gears? If so, maybe you need to use thinner ones. Sometimes you need to shim the large outer bevel gears to get things to mate up properly. Let me look up the exploded views...

Ok, yeah, that is a typical setup. It has shims behind the bevel gears.
View attachment 147239

You can use thinner shims. You have to measure the hole diameter, outer diameter, and thickness to find different ones. You can also play with how much you tighten the screws that hold the ring gear on. You want them tight, but sometimes you can ever so slightly tighten them too much.
i just opend up my diff, it feels fine but when i had the wheels on it felt rough, could it be the ring and pinion?

It could be. Look at all the gears very closely and look for wear. Tip: sometimes if you take a pic of the gears, you can zoom into the pic and see wear better. Look for shiney spots to show you where there may be problems.

my ring gear is quite worn i see many shiny spots, you think that is the issue? and could you possibly link how a normal diff should sound please?

A normal diff won't make much noise at all. If you spin the axles in opposite directions, it should feel smooth. If it does, then it's likely your ring and pinion mesh. Pics would help.

A normal diff won't make much noise at all. If you spin the axles in opposite directions, it should feel smooth. If it does, then it's likely your ring and pinion mesh. Pics would help.
you need a pciture inside the diff or outside?

Of the gears. Any you can share might shed some light on what's going on. Take a pic of the diff in the housing meshed with the pinion looking straight down on it.

Of the gears. Any you can share might shed some light on what's going on. Take a pic of the diff in the housing meshed with the pinion looking straight down on it.
Screenshot_20220522-145016_Discord.jpg
20220524_105159.jpg

This is 2pics you can see wear on the ring gear

The sun gear looks to be a little rounded over, but it's really hard to say unless you compare it with a new gear. Are you putting lube on the ring and pinion? What kinda diff lube are you using? Get some Mobil1 synthetic grease for the ring and pinion. It's the red stuff, and is safe for plastic.

The sun gear looks to be a little rounded over, but it's really hard to say unless you compare it with a new gear. Are you putting lube on the ring and pinion? What kinda diff lube are you using? Get some Mobil1 synthetic grease for the ring and pinion. It's the red stuff, and is safe for plastic.
i put brand new gears and I'm using 5000wt diff oil

i put brand new gears and I'm using 5000wt diff oil
Some gears have a bit rounded profile on the tooth, and some are sharp. It's probably fine. But you need to find out what damaged that ring gear, unless you didn't replace that yet.

Some gears have a bit rounded profile on the tooth, and some are sharp. It's probably fine. But you need to find out what damaged that ring gear, unless you didn't replace that yet.
I'm pretty sure the front housing has too much flex and is making the ring gear strip

Check to see that the bearing journals in the housing aren't worn. Maybe it is time for new housings.
Screenshot_20220524-202147_Drive.jpg

Check to see that the bearing journals in the housing aren't worn. Maybe it is time for new housings.
View attachment 147247
yea, thinking about getting the exotek metal housing and brand new pinion and ring gear just to be safe but its a whole lotta money, do you know of any other housings that are cheaper but still metal?

No, but can tell you Exotek stuff is worth every penny. They make really nice stuff.

Back