Baja engine replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy88

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Currently have the stock 23cc bit looking at getting a 30.5cc off eBay can get them for £180 and just wondering how good they would be? Obv it's not a hpi made one but would they still be ok?

Most of the people wanting more power go for the 30.5 cc.

Does it matter who the 30cc engine is made by? Even if cheap brand

Your "HPI" engine is actually a CY 2 bolt. Rhat 30.5 is probably the same with a bigger top end kit bolted on. Zenoahs are 4 bolt blocks and better quality engine.

Id wait til you save a little more and get a Wildchild 29cc from Dogpile Racing. Unless Robin at ERCM starts releasing his engines. I run a 28.5 cc that was anoriginal 26cc CY. Not a lot of power gained. Theres a vid of that Wildchild engine on hpibajaforum

I'm running a CY 30.5 and it rips! I have it in a truck. Right now it is only 2WD but every time I hit a little hump in the yard it's pulling the front wheels off the ground and just burning down the yard or field. I just never expected it to run as well as it does. The first time my son seen it run he said "man, that is just unreal". You can get a 2 bolt, 30.5 kit on Ebay for about $100 but I don't think it's made to fit a 23cc block. I'd have to look to see what block it fits.

---------- Post added at 6:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:34 PM ----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rovan-30-5c...racter_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item20ce1f8b47

There you go Bro, $79. Says it fits a 23cc. You couldn't even do a nitro engine for that price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rovan-30-...racter_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item20ce1f8b47

This is the link if you are in the UK.

Last edited:
I would personally go with the zenoha, they are a much better built engine much like the picco and lrp, they both perform but one is substantially better then the other in terms of quality. I am modding the gassers, I just don't have the header for my pipes just yet.

I really like O'Neill Brothers Racing. This is only beacuse I have not had one done by Robin yet but anyway for off the shelf kits....I have 28.5 kit they did for me and it keeps up with all but the highly modded 4 bolt engines. They can be pushed to higher compression with less problems. Are you looking for torque or RPM. A larger engine with a reed kit will get you more punch and can be geared a little higher but if you want some crazy RPM the 28.5's will normally out rev the 30.5. There are as many variables with the gassers as nitro nearly.

I just want something with more go than the 23cc it's a bit laggy low down. I have seen some already built engines on eBay that are 30.5cc for £180

I just want something with more go than the 23cc it's a bit laggy low down. I have seen some already built engines on eBay that are 30.5cc for £180

Exactly buddy. That is why I hooked you up with a link where you can get what you want without spending hundreds of $$$. Sure, there are better motors but you can make yours do what you want without spending a fortune doing it. The average guy can't afford to spend an excessive amount on gas or nitro cars. Money is no object to most of these guys.

So that kit is literally a bolt on and away you go hello 30cc? Is it hard to do

Here are a couple from OBR that are budget friendly. Here is something you need to keep in mind. With 90% of the 30.5cc kits you will have to split the engine and pull the crank out (not difficult) but the 26-29cc kits are top end only. If you are good you could feasibly even do a top end without pulling the engine out. I would bet money either one of these will spank a Roven kit.
Kit #1
Kit #2

So that kit is literally a bolt on and away you go hello 30cc? Is it hard to do
No it is not. You will have to split the engine case to install the kit but it's no big deal. Everything that Joey said is correct. If I had to buy a kit, I would buy the #2 kit he listed. I used to drag race a motorcycle and performance is what I'm after. If you don't care about the extra performance, then you can get away with the Rovan kit. If you want a motor that runs like a rocket then get the #2 kit. That motor has been ported and stroked and they have adjusted the compression to maintain low end performance. I'm just guessing that it would run like a 35cc engine. (if there is such a thing!) And now you guys got me excited about it because I'm looking for a "secret weapon" to beat my RC mentor that thinks he's the fastest guy around!