Back In The Game

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindside_137

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Watching this video the other day inspired me to get my savage 21 back into shape.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEROVWDp3n0"]The Greatest R/C Car Chase Ever - YouTube[/ame]

I have had the savage for about 10 years now and for the last 4 I've been in college and neglected to fix it up after the front center dogbone fell out in a tumble.

Well I finally have cleaned off the spider webs and ordered some parts and feel like a kid on christmas with the new things coming. Definitely excited to start tinkering with it again on the weekends. My proline big joes actually began to disintegrate so I ordered some GT2 tires and the 8 spoke wheels in black from HPI. Also have necessities like fuel and and glow ignitor on the way. I am a little worried about the engine since it hasnt been turned over once the last 4 years. But if I need to I'll replace it with the k4.9 most likely later this year. Any other things I should be concerned with?

Some of the mods I did to it include
-S-25 engine
-3 shoe clutch
-Spider gear diff
-Carbon fiber TVP's
-Tsais exhaust
-Stiffer springs
-Motor Saver filter (which disintegrated as well as my tires)
-Big Joes and 40 series wheels
-Push stop

and some other things I know I'm forgetting.

Also, I'd like to get a clear gt2 body at some point and wanted to paint it a medium to dark gray color. I love the pactra paints but don't see any type of gray on their website. Any one ever used a gray lexan paint before they can recommend? Thanks

UPDATE: Here is how it sits now

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

don't mind the missing body clip lol, had to use it for my fuel tank I lost one in the rebuild process.
IMG_1910.jpg

Here's pics of the savage 4 years ago. I'll update with the new wheels and tires later this week.

savage1.jpg

savage2.jpg

savage3.jpg

savage4.jpg

savage5.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking savage, but it's entirely too clean. :D

good find on the vid really enjoyed watching it , as for your truck , great job cleaning her up and bring her back to life

haha thanks guys, the pics are from right after I got some mods so I cleaned it up for the pics. But they're 4 years old. The truck now had lots of spider webs and crud all over it.

I'll post more when I get my new wheels and tires tomorrow. Won't be for a few days though because right after work I'm taking my little cousin trick or treating.

You think the S-25 will still crank after lying dormant for so long? I can't remember whether I coated it with some after run oil. I have new glow plugs on the way.

Glad you liked the video! The behind the scenes one is pretty sweet too.

being you don't remeber I would pull the back plate and take a peek and if its all good put few drips of aro in her , then fire it up

being you don't remeber I would pull the back plate and take a peek and if its all good put few drips of aro in her , then fire it up

Ahh that's a great idea. Thanks

Forgot to mention too, I ordered new fuel because the left over trinity gallon I have is more than a few years old. There is about 1/4 of it left. What's the best way to dispose of it? I read something about using it as a cleaner? Maybe a rag and dab some fuel on it to wipe down the dusty bits of the truck some more?

Ahh that's a great idea. Thanks

Forgot to mention too, I ordered new fuel because the left over trinity gallon I have is more than a few years old. There is about 1/4 of it left. What's the best way to dispose of it? I read something about using it as a cleaner? Maybe a rag and dab some fuel on it to wipe down the dusty bits of the truck some more?

if your old fuel was in a dark cool place with a good seal give it a try , I found a half gal of some 20 year old Byron 10% fuel in my basement had a good seal on it dumped it in my 20+ year old RC10GT and it still ripped :whhooo:

holy cow, alright then haha. Yeah I've had the fuel stored in my dark closet of my room so it's been sealed and kept around 70 degrees the last four years. I looked at it and didn't see any condensation so that's a good sign.

UPDATE

Got my goodies the other day. In the process of cleaning and checking all vitals. The pull start wouldn't budge but after getting some ARO in there and sitting for a little it seems just like before. I have it all put back together and will try to start it up this weekend.. just need a few batteries. I'll get some more pics this weekend.

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

love get parts in the mail just when ya for get about it bam , really looking good ,you'll be bashing in no time

love get parts in the mail just when ya for get about it bam , really looking good ,you'll be bashing in no time

exactly.. haha

just got done putting it all together and installed new batteries. All the are still working great (original savage 21 servos) the steering is fine and throttle is good. But I noticed that my carb must be stuck. The throttle servo moves but can't budge the carb. I dropped in some ARO to see if that would loosen it up. But I have no idea how to get it unstuck. Any tips? Theres no way to really get any leverage on it.

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

The main throttle linkage moves fine, but the carb part can't move at all.
IMG_1905.jpg

i just put some fuel down mine and worked it by hand after a few min

i just put some fuel down mine and worked it by hand after a few min

ok I put a few drops in, letting it sit and will keep coming back to it. Repeating until it begins to move.

I hate this I want to drive the thing already haha

Haha. I know the feeling. I have to wait 2 or more weeks for my parts to arrive

man I'm having no luck with fuel or wd-40, it won't budge. I just got it all together and now will have to tear into the carb and clean it. Is there a link anywhere to taking the carb apart? I've tried searching and can't find anything.

Try a little heat from a hair dryer. It's probably all gummed up should help soften it up

Try a little heat from a hair dryer. It's probably all gummed up should help soften it up

that crossed my mind. I'll give it a shot. This S-25 was a great engine for me back in the day hoping it still is.

hair dryer worked like a charm. I took out the glow plug and yanked the pull start to clean out all the nasty crud and ARO I dumped in.

That baby fired on the second pull. It kept dying though after I was getting on the throttle some. So I leaned out the LSN some (was that right?). That seemed to help but then the times it died it wouldn't start unless I held down the throttle some while starting.

I also think it may be how I have my fuel line really close to the exhaust header. Maybe the hot fuel to the carb isn't helping?

I'm a noob all over again. Thanks for the help everybody!