Back from the dead!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudSlinger33

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I found this classic t-maxx sitting in a corner at a garage sale last weekend, I asked the guy if it was for sale and offered him 50 bucks. He took the cash and I took home what appeared to be a piece of junk . Once I got it home I began tearing into it, realizing it was in worst shape than I thought. Two busted A-arms, cracked shock tower, busted bulk, cracked chassis braces and a stripped front diff. The motor looked toast and was very hard to turn, but after stripping it down and soaking it overnight, everything freed up and it even had decent compression.
IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

Here is the end result, 3 days and about 100 bucks later, I have a running tmaxx, even the reverse works. :D It cleaned up very well.
IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

WOW.....you sure that's the same truck?

Nice, for a $150 and a little time you got a nice rig. Cleanup looks great.

Ya, it was defiantly worth the money and effort. After driving it I don't know why I ever sold my first tmaxx. This ones a keeper.

That's sweet. I recently got a first generation tmaxx - even had the old pro15 on it. Your lucky for that 2.5! Have fun with it!

The original pic of the motor was absolutely horrible!! I bet Rolex threw up in his mouth a little when he saw that!!:) Cleaned up great. Congrats shes pretty for minimal $ too!!

very nice effort on the clean up rig look sweet !! great investment ! now we can go run Maxx's sometime !

Not bad! Those things can be hit or miss, I'd say you hit.
Looks like the engine was run with a bad exhaust coupler for quite some time.

Thanks guys. It defiantly needed some love. The motor had to be soaked in grill cleaner in order to remove all the burnt on oil.

Last weekend I snapped a lower and upper a arm from a bad landing, went to the hobby store that day and they said they wouldn't have any new ones for two weeks. I knew I wouldn't be able to wait two weeks to drive the maxx again so I had to improvise. I'm taking a busted RPM lower arm from my emaxx and using a plastic/steel epoxy as a quick fix. This will be the real test for this RPM arm.
IMG_1721.jpg
'

Quick update-
RPM A-arm fixed
Stock lower A-arm busted
Front skidplate busted
TRX 2.5 busted!

Time for an overhaul...
IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

There went the con rod..
IMG_1732.jpg

I need some ideas for a decent engine that will drop right in w/o having to upgrade the driveline.

Last edited:
Wow that thing went lean!
The os 21tm would be great, or a dynamite .19

Actually, the the throttle linkage got wedged between the tranny case and the spur gear after a hard tumble. The maxx was half way across a field and held wide open. Right before I went to pinch the line it snapped the rod.

I had a dynamite before and wasn't real impressed, maybe I will try the os .21.

Decided to take the easy route and picked up a 3.3 about a month ago at the LHS (it was on sale.) I have to say I am more impressed than I thought I would be, so far no issues with the motor and I am a gallon in. However, the new found power is bringing out the weaknesses in the drive line. I do have to say that it held up a lot longer than expected, and I still have reverse! It's a miracle. :hehe:
IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:04 PM ----------

Wow, mud, I'm really proud of you! Beautiful job. Now KEEP it that way. :hehe:

Rolex, don't look at those last two pictures. :hehe:

Back