Axial SCX-10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxfreek

Hardcore RCTalk User
Firefighter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Picked it up today, i like th way its made and seems to be very capable of going wherever i want it to. Not happy with the motor, seems weak on nimh, All in all i think I'm gonna have some fun with this thing. gonna get away from the 27t motor though, I'm just not sure which way to go
100_2193.jpg

100_2191.jpg

100_2194.jpg

Last edited:
NIMH will always suck, period. You need to try to get into lipo as soon as you can and then upgrade the motor. A 35t integy and 3s will get you good crawl-ability and some speed.

It has a rebadged Castle esc in it, i didnt know that until i read the specs on it from Axial, i put a 2s in it and it done alot better, i dont thing this esc will take 3s so I'm gonna have to do soemthing different, would you do a brushless motor? Whats some decent budget electronics that will get me where i need to be?

I'm not a fan of brushless personally in a crawler. Its not that easy to get one setup well, they tend to have trouble unless you can spend the coin on a nice setup. Brushed is way better if you wanna get it wet or muddy. A brushed motor on high voltage and good gearing can rip!

OK, what ESC would you recommend, dont really wanna spend Alot. but want it reliable.

If you can pick up a Sidewinder you would be set. Can get them used for pretty cheap now days. Throw it and your rx in a waterproof box and your golden.

If that esc can handle 3s thats what you need! I ran stock gearing and stock 27t motor with 3s and it had crazy power and speed. It will be a totally different truck! Even on 2s it will be a lot better than the crappy nimh.

Last edited:
It is tons better, on 2s that nimh, but i dont think this ESC will hold 3s, i will look for a sidewinder, hopefully i can pick one up fairly cheap.

The stock ESC is a Castle product and if you have the field link you can adjust forward, reverse, drag brake, etc. That said the stock electronics plain suck IMO. I have continually struggled with running more than 10 minutes before it overheats and basically becomes useless at that point until recool. Even went down to a 15T pinion and not much better. Brushless - not worth it for a basher scale rig. As SNG said go brushed and mud it up!!

I kind of differ in opinion from SNG on brushless in trail trucks like the SCX-10. I run a Dynamite Fuze 5800kV system and 2s in mine and have no problems with wheel speed or cogging. They're also not horribly expensive as 1/10 brushless systems go.

I'm running a 2s lipo on mine now, with the 27T brushed motor, not really alot of wheel speed, i think 3s on the 27t would be Loads faster, i put a bid in on the Castle Sidewinder above,maybe if i win it and it works ill pick up a couple 3s batteries and give it a whirl. I want to keep the ability to Crawl when i want to

I have a wraith with stock esc with 21t reverse rotation on 2s and its ok. I'm going to 3s and it should rock. I was running it at the lhs and someone said that it definitely has wheel speed. I just pit in a savox sa-1230sg and believe it or not I got more power to the wheels. So I'm.happy with.it now.

You got more power to the wheels with a different servo???? please explain,thats new to me.

Well it just seems that it is running better and not taking as much power to run the servo. Maybe its just me having new parts. But seems to be running a lot better.

It would actually take more power to run your Servo, Savox servos need alot of Juice to run........

Fair enough. Maybe in full of shite. Like I said maybe new parts and I'm.all gitty

It would actually take more power to run your Servo, Savox servos need alot of Juice to run........

Not true in all cases with Savox. I run the 1258 or 1256TG and I get 1+ hours of run time with NiMH packs. But most will require a BEC if the esc doesn't have one built in.

---------- Post added at 5:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:48 PM ----------

Well it just seems that it is running better and not taking as much power to run the servo. Maybe its just me having new parts. But seems to be running a lot better.

Theres no way thats true, the ONLY thing a servo does in an electric rig, is steer :hehe: or act as your winching motor to get yo ass outta sticky situations.

Last edited:
Not true in all cases with Savox. I run the 1258 or 1256TG and I get 1+ hours of run time with NiMH packs. But most will require a BEC if the esc doesn't have one built in.

---------- Post added at 5:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:48 PM ----------

Theres no way thats true, the ONLY thing a servo does in an electric rig, is steer :hehe:

The BEC is what i was getting at, we call'em glitch busters, so the servo doesn't skip or "glitch"

The BEC is what i was getting at, we call'em glitch busters, so the servo doesn't skip or "glitch"

I figured thats where you were headed with it lol didnt wanna let any scale newb blow his wad :hehe: and have it be a total glitchy mess. I make myself LOL sometimes...

Back