Attn audiophile

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wacmartin

DAMN TREES
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought a used kenwood turntable it's 4 watts, I hooked it up to my shelf stereo system which is 200 watts. The volume is really low almost unaudible. Do I need lower watt speakers? Oh and I hooked it up via auxiliary cables, the only cables the turntable has beside the power cord.

From past experience it needs to be hooked up to a phono input on your receiver, I once was selling a portable CD player to a buddy of mine and his dad wanted to make sure it worked, he plugged it into a phono input and it sounded like crap, once plugged into a CD input it worked just fine, they apparently run at different levels. At least that was my experience, I could be totally wrong.

Most turntables need a pre-amp to work properly like on a receiver or amp that has a phono input. At one time, Radio Shack sold pre-amps in their stores for people that needed them.

Turntables need a RIAA pre-amp input, that's what the phono input is for. Hook anything else up to that input, and the sound is heavily amplified and distorted. Reason for that is the groove on the record can't support bass sounds at their normal level. The needle would jump up all the time. Bass sounds are turned way down for the mastering. The RIAA pre-amp boost bass before entering the normal pre-amp of the amplifier.

You can still buy them pretty cheap. Just make sure it's for RCA jacks if you're looking on line. Most of them today are for mono standard jacks for guitars.
You'll need a stereo pre-amp with RCA jacks in and out.

Rolex, where can I find them cheap? I'm looking and all I see is prices ranging from $200 to $6000! I only paid $25 for this turntable, it's nice and all but I was thinking less then $50.

Back