Associated RIVAL Monster Truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, can't wait to hear your feedback on it.

Just a heads up, I am not an rc critique by any means so go easy on me, I will give you the best review
I can give.
So, first impressions. This thing is huge, defiantly a true 1/8 scale truck. I love the look of the red, white and blue body paired with the blue bead lock wheels. I have never owned any of the mgt trucks, but I do love the look of them. The under chassis is gorgeous as well. Plenty of shiny aluminum to suite my needs (I'm a little nervous about scratching it.:D) The top chassis layout is very clean and the battery trays are very easy to adjust for when I upgrade to 6s.:D That reminds me, don't buy this truck expecting to be able to run it on 6s lipo. The ESC can only handle 4s, which is still satisfying for this truck. I'm not sure how I like the center diff on an MT, but it definatley helps keep the front end down and helps with the handling, which is a lot better than I expected from the looks of this truck. It does have quite a bit of body roll when going hard into the turns, but surprisingly it will remain on all fours even when braking hard. I'll probably end up throwing in some 500xxx weight oil in the center diff and 200xxx in the front and rear diffs to tighten them up a bit.
The speed was decent running on the stock NiMH battery's, but the punch that I'm so used to with lipos was missing. I ran the truck through the first pack with the stock battery's then soldered on some traxxas plugs so I could run my 2 2s lipos. What a difference that made! Be sure to watch your motor temps though! I was getting into the upper 140's with the stock gearing on 4s lipo. I was even hitting 130 degrees with the NiMH battery's.
My only worries with this truck are the A arms and the diffs. The A arms look to me like they were pulled straight from the tmaxx and I have heard of the problems people have had with the mgt diffs, hopefully those were beefed up to handle brush less power. Well, enough of me talking, time for the pics!
9y4ana7a.jpg

dygydepy.jpg
8eza7y9e.jpg
a9ahuda9.jpg
huveme2y.jpg
enary2yq.jpg
e5a6usu4.jpg
enumese5.jpg
seqezaga.jpg
zadetyra.jpg

azapu9ed.jpg

Sent from my XT907

---------- Post added at 9:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:11 PM ----------

I forgot to mention about the heavy duty CV shafts through out the truck.

Sent from my XT907

Last edited:
Sounds like RPM is needed here..

We will see how the stock a-arms hold up but I'm sure some rpm arms will be needed in the future.

Sent from my XT907

Nice looking truck my friend! I can't wait to hear how she does over the long haul. The last monster truck I bought was the ERevo.

We will see how the stock a-arms hold up but I'm sure some rpm arms will be needed in the future.

I like the stock arms for one reason only more ground clearance, the rpm A-arms lower the ride height by some bit.

Well it has been a long time since my last update on this truck. It has been through many bashings now and has survived a very long minnesota winter without any breakage.... but it is still a stock truck and I still want more power. Looks like it is time to upgrade!

How do you like the Rival? People are putting in comparison with the MGT platform but I dont think anything could relate to the MGT.. My MGT experiance has far exceeded my expectations and would love a truck that can match its brute strength!

It's the same* damn truck with a longer wheelbase, and probably just as fast as the first MGT. :hehe:

How do you like the Rival? People are putting in comparison with the MGT platform but I dont think anything could relate to the MGT.. My MGT experiance has far exceeded my expectations and would love a truck that can match its brute strength!

The truck itself is great, very durable. Its just way to underpowered for its size.

It's the same* damn truck with a longer wheelbase, and probably just as fast as the first MGT. :hehe:

Thats a damn shame, nothing a couple hundred damn dollars couldnt fix....

Last edited:
Back