are failsafes worth the money?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$20 is cheap insurance for a runaway which might cost you 10x as much to repair. A failsafe and throttle return spring are a must for any nitro vehicle.

thanks for the info, what is a throttle return spring? does it close the throttle when the trigger is released?

Go to Youtube or Dailymotion...

and do a search for RC Runaways and Crashes....It convinced me...Buy one for sure....if anything, for piece of mind!!! You can keep your batteries fully charged or even new...yet you can't control interference that may cause you to lose control of your vehicle....

Hawk

thanks for the info, what is a throttle return spring? does it close the throttle when the trigger is released?

Yes it does.

It also comes standard on a Revo.

Hmm... 20.00 in one hand and 1000.00 in the other.
I do know that some people that drive without car insurance.

i'll join the wagon...20-25 bucks is cheap compared to 500+ for a new "toy".

fail safe is nice but a throttle return spring is better. I had an incident where the battery ties broke and the battery came unhook at full throttle and the fail safe doesn't work without power but my return spring brought it down to an idle with no harm done. some kind of a fail safe is definately worth it.

Run both. A failsafe is $20, a TRS may be $5. Best $25 you'll spend. And if you're willing to toss $400 at a Revo, $25 is nothing. Trust us.

yep their worth the money, this wasn't funny at the time but now it is anyway my dad was driving his hotbodies lighting staduim on this old runway and it's got about 20 acres a round it he had for got to pull his ariel up all the way and it went for a drive lol, but he found it which was very lucky he had learn't his lesson for not buying a fail safe for his car and trust me they are worth it for the price of the car!!

My first RC was an RC10GT. When I first got it, I lived in an apartment complex with no dirt in sight. I was so excited I decided to take it out and play the day I got it. It had no failsafe, I was running rechargeable double-a's on it and it had a brand new motor on it. Once I thought I was comfortable with the throttle, I figured I would try some laps around my lot, using my third floor balcony as a drivers stand.

On my first lap I got about halfway down my road and the darn thing went WOT, careening out of control into a parked Mitsubishi Gallant. It ended up destroying the ground effects on said car, the tuned pipe, the front two wheels and the entire front bulk/shock setup.

Long story short... It is worth it.

A failsafe is your friend with higher powered RC models like the Revo. I have never run mine without one. It's a small price to pay to keep your "toy" safe.

Not to beat a dead horse....:deadhorse , but yes get both a Failsafe and a Throttle Return spring. Not only for safety, but if you are like me... your rides do not stay "stock" for long. With that much money invested in your rig... having it go out of control into a brick wall... curb, or heaven forbid someones car, leg or family pet.... you will be happy you did, because in the latter incidents you not only have to pay to fix your rig... you would have medical bills and repair bills to look forward to as well. $25 is nothing.

Tom

hell yea

look homie if ur asking this question then i take it that ur fairly new to the rc game. take it from me, put up the $20 and get u an failsafe. i have 1 on all 3 of my truck and 2 in the tool box just waiting for action. instead of chasing ur rc 2 blocks (lesson well learned) and wearing urself down, let the failsafe do whats it was born to do.

P:S and yes the throttle return spring does pull back when off the trigger, but i will warn you it does place a little more strain on ur servo which mean more power will be needed to move ur servo horn and it will wear down ur battery just a tad bit faster

Which Revo do you have?
Both the 2.5 and the 3.3 come standard with a throttle return spring.
It is my understanding that the 3.3 has a failsafe built into the "Opti-drive" system, the 2.5 does not.
Hope this helps!

i do have a 3.3 so it should already have one? cool. and I'm not really new to the r/c game, this is just my first nitro. but thanks for all the replys!:yes:

It is my understanding that the 3.3 has a failsafe built into the "Opti-drive" system, the 2.5 does not.
Hope this helps!
no disrespect but i don't hardly think so...:nope: opti drive controls shifting between forward and reverse its not a failsafe.

Last edited:
Ditto, What he said....The Opti-drive will not stop your vehicle if there is any outside interference with your radio....I think the opti-drive will keep the vehicle from shifting into reverse while you are running in forward gear...If this thread didn't convince anyone of the importance of a failsafe....Maybe smashing into a curb or wall at a high rate of speed, due to radio interference, will? :)

Back